LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Maybe a dumb ? but I have to ask..

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May be a dumb ? about PCV, but I have to ask..

I am currently working on installing an lt1 out of a 95z in a 69 camaro. I am removing the egr and AIR. Now to my question.
The 93 intakes have the pcv valve hose just making a loop into a vacuum fitting right next to where it is(basically the hose makes a U). The 95 has the long hard line that goes to the front of the intake. Is it possible to connect the hose off the pcv valve to the hole next to it like the 93? The holes seem to be in the same place on both manifolds. It just looks like they used different fittings for different purposes. It would clean up my intake without having to have that long line going to the front if i dont have to.
Can I just put a plug in the hole on the front of the manifold? I am trying to clean the engine up as much as possible.
Unfortuanately, most of the lines were disconnected on the motor when i got it and now i have to figure out what goes to each vacuum fitting(any help appreciated for both driver and passenger side of intake).

Last edited by bigboar; 08-05-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:23 AM
10 Second Moderator

I cant see any reason why you couldnt use it. It ends up in the same place right behind the TB.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems doing that whatsoever. The only reason they changed the routing of the vaccuum lines on the 95-up LT1's was because they needed to free up an extra vaccuum port for one of the Optispark vent hoses. Since you're deleting your EGR valve and won't be using that vaccuum port, you can just plug your Opti's vent hose into that port. (That is, if you're still running a vented Opti.) And yes, you'll need to plug the port at the front of the intake under the throttle body.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Teching In

good! can I use the front port for the opti Vent? That would eliminate another long hose...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigboar
good! can I use the front port for the opti Vent? That would eliminate another long hose...
This I'm not 100% positive about. What concerns me is that that port feeds into the EGR tunnel that runs underneath the plenum, and whatever vaccuum it see's comes from the tiny holes that are drilled into the backside of each intake runner port on the inside. I can't vouch for whether there will be enough inches of vaccuum produced at that port to supply sufficient venting for the opti. The reason it works for the PCV valve is because that valve has some "push" on the other side of it, (crankcase pressure), so it doesn't need quite as much vaccum as the other ports to function.

You might try hooking a vaccuum gauge to that port and seeing how it compares to the others.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Teching In

ok, thanks for the help! I have the motor out of the car so it isnt running. Would there possibly be anybody who would know about the front port and whether or not it will work for venting the opti?

Last edited by bigboar; 08-05-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Maybe a dumb ? but I have to ask..