LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone running 'big' XFI cam on LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone running 'big' XFI cam on LT1?

Looking at this family, considering the big boy 292 XFI, might stay one below that. Car is a 94, stock cubes, stock size Manley Race Flo valves, mild bowl porting and just a touch in the runners. Already have the 1.6 Crane Gold self-aligning rockers, and probably go Patriot dual springs (have the 1996 LT4 springs now), because similar specs to the beehives, but much better price with titanium retainers, seals and all included. Gonna go hardened moly pushrods, mostly for stiffness, and wondering if the Crane 10530 lifters I have will handle it, or if stock are better, or what.

I'm interested in feedback about what these aggressive lobes are like to live with, tune, and whether the performance is significantly better than a milder ramp, or what other relatively wild cams folks would suggest for a mostly street but far from daily driver 94?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the point on a basiclly stock cubed, intake car?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know which cam you are talking about, could be the one I have.

242/248 @ .050 .584/.579 113 LSA

My setup is in my sig.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto

My setup is in my sig.

have a dyno graph for it?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

My setup is in my sig.
If that's the XFI cam, yes. I'd like your impressions on fuel economy, tuning, where the power comes on, and what it's like to live with, in other words, does it still have enough vaccuum for brakes, is the powerband wide enough to use comfortably on the street, or is it more of a WOT only cam. What do you heads flow? Are the 30 pph injectors enough, or are you near the top of the duty cycle? What do you shift at?

I'd really like to see a dyno graph if available.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
What would be the point on a basiclly stock cubed, intake car?

Hmmm... to make nearly the power you do for thousands less?

I've also got a 3200 stall, 3.73s, built trans, headers... And while I don't experct to make what a 383 with a similar cam does, I am hoping that with the very aggressive ramp the XFI has, I'll have as much or more power under the curve as bigger dollar large displacement motors do, especially if they are running older less aggressive ramp cams.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Paul, where you been hiding?? I see you are looking to go big....hmmmmmm...Have you talked to Joe O. about those cams? I just called him the other day and he actually answered the phone...Take care..

--Alan
Old 09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Hmmm... to make nearly the power you do for thousands less?

I've also got a 3200 stall, 3.73s, built trans, headers... And while I don't experct to make what a 383 with a similar cam does, I am hoping that with the very aggressive ramp the XFI has, I'll have as much or more power under the curve as bigger dollar large displacement motors do, especially if they are running older less aggressive ramp cams.
To make the power "I" make for thousands less? Wouldnt be hard. I'm not making any power. Super luck to you.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

To make the power "I" make for thousands less? Wouldnt be hard. I'm not making any power. Super luck to you.
All right then, feel free to stay out of the thread, as you have nothing to contribute.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

I was asking a question. There's no need for your attitude.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Looks like you guys got your panties all up in a bunch?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like you guys got your panties all up in a bunch?
No big deal just a misunderstanding.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

I was asking a question. There's no need for your attitude.

Ok. Perhaps I should have assumed you meant "is there a benefit to a very large aggressive cam in a stock cube motor" Rather than, "So you got stock cubes your **** will never be quick so why bother"

But then I gave you credit for knowing the answer to the first question based on the mods you have listed.

Anyway, I want to hear from folks who actually are running either the XFI cam or a VERY similar cam in a stock cube motor. 383 or 396 reacts a good bit different than mine will; I want to evaluate whether I really want this 242/248 cam or if the 230/236 is a better choice, or some other choice entirely.

I really hope Fergymoto posts some more details, as he's got the cam I am considering.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Ok. Perhaps I should have assumed you meant "is there a benefit to a very large aggressive cam in a stock cube motor" Rather than, "So you got stock cubes your **** will never be quick so why bother"

But then I gave you credit for knowing the answer to the first question based on the mods you have listed.

Anyway, I want to hear from folks who actually are running either the XFI cam or a VERY similar cam in a stock cube motor. 383 or 396 reacts a good bit different than mine will; I want to evaluate whether I really want this 242/248 cam or if the 230/236 is a better choice, or some other choice entirely.

I really hope Fergymoto posts some more details, as he's got the cam I am considering.
I honestly was intrested in your reasoning because I figured you knew something I didnt by using this cam on that type of setup. Just trying to learn something new. No reason to assume the worst and get a attitude. I'm just as intrested as you are and would like to learn more.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 PM
12 Second Club

You asked...

"If that's the XFI cam, yes. I'd like your impressions on fuel economy, tuning, where the power comes on, and what it's like to live with, in other words, does it still have enough vaccuum for brakes, is the powerband wide enough to use comfortably on the street, or is it more of a WOT only cam. What do you heads flow? Are the 30 pph injectors enough, or are you near the top of the duty cycle? What do you shift at?

I'd really like to see a dyno graph if available."

Fuel economy: I haven't even filled the tank up since all this, never seem to have enough money to put in more than $20 at a time The car also has a misfire, a fairly bad one. So it would be inaccurate anyhow.

Tunability: We were able to tune it even with the misfire, the AFR is good. Don't worry about tuning at all.

Livability: The power brakes are working good for me. They feel no different than stock except for when the car misfires and idle goes down to about 500 LOL. If you are above 800 RPMs they work fine.

It seems to have good power thoughout the RPM range, and doesn't bother me at all. Even with the misfire.

Flow numbers for the heads... The guy I bought them from (bought used) had a sheet that read 283@.600 and 211@.600 tested with 28" of water. This testing was done by Lingenfelter, so he says. They are Lingenfelter CNC ported LT1 castings so this is probably correct.

Injectors: I had 37lb/hr injectors but had problems with two of them. GMR Speed happened to have some 30s in stock. That's why I have 30s now. I'm not sure what the duty cycle is at, but I have a little room to grow with them.

I am shifting at 6300 right now. We kept increasing and increasing the rev limiter, because the horsepower just kept climing. We ended up having to stop at 6800 because the valves begain to float... probably on count of my stock lifters.

I don't have the graph. I will see if Leo can email it to me if they have it. The curve just goes up and up then just drops off at 6800 RPMs.

Hope I was able to help you with some things. I am still working on a few bugs with the car like the misfire, possibly a bad torque converter, etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Maybe I missed it, are you running a stick or aod? I have about the same setup as you and the car IS my daily driver.Specs are in my sig. The cam is a custom grind from comp cams,when the mods were done, the car belonged to my son who has since bought an `01 z-06.(little punk)lol.the vette outran my car with the mods when it was still bone stock!I don`t have the dyno sheets at my disposal but I can get them.My car started making power around 2800 to 3000 and fell off at about 6200.It did 347hp 362tq.on motor,BUT I have a stock tune on my computer and I know it won`t make any difference in the numbers,but a big difference in where the power comes on. My car is pig rich all the time and I know it.As far as drive ability,I have never had any problems with brakes or anything.I also have a misfire that comes and goes that is driving me nuts.My advice would be to call Comp or someone (they are very helpful) and tell them what you want.In our case,they shipped in less than a week.I`m just learning about these computer cars too, and the biggest lesson I have learned so far is to make sure the advice giver knows what they are talking about. Opinions seem to differ greatly,and I tend to be conservative while I`m learning. Hope this helps, and please post your results as I stand to learn alot from what you are doing.My car is my daily driver so I have to be careful.Also, I know there is another 25 or so hp in my engine,I just have to find it.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Mine is an A4. And dude, you need a tune! You can't run a setup like that on a stock tune. I don't know how you are doing it without fouling plugs frequently. Your setup is probably good for 400rwhp or better with the 6 speed. Mine would be well over it if I had a 6 speed. It would probably be at 400 for me just by getting my junk converter out of there.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Fergymoto, that is great info for me and really helpful!

One more question: What springs are you running on that head? You still have what came on the Lingenfelter head, or did you upgrade springs too?

I'll almost certainly go with the Patriot Gold dual springs, so I'll have a bit more spring pressure to work with; hoping they'll allow me to spin as high as i want. From a GMHTP article: "Patriot Performance "Gold" dual valvesprings (PN 8401) are capable of up to .650 lift and include titanium retainers, machined bases, Super 7 locks and Viton rubber intake and exhaust seals. The Patriot Gold springs feature an open spring pressure of 380 pounds, with 135 pounds closing pressure" as compared to approximately 310 and 110 pounds for the factory springs and as compared to "26918 Comp beehive springs,1.055/1.290, single beehive ovate, I.D. .660/.885, seat load 130@1.800, Open load 318@1.200, Coil bind 1.085, rate (lbs./in), Excellent Springs for most applications up to .600 lift, Utilizes stock spring pocket and retainers."

So: Lift Seat Open
Stock .510 110 310
918 .600 130 318
Patriot .650 135 380

I'm hoping to avoid float with the Patriots, and may even install them a bit tighter to increase seat pressure.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Glad I could be of help:thumbsup:

I am running the Comp 918 Beehive springs.

I was just going to run the double springs that came on the heads (Lingenfelter provides them, don't know if they are Lingenfelter springs or another company's product). But anyhow, when I recieved the heads they had one broken valve spring so I moved on to the 918s.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

Looking at this family, considering the big boy 292 XFI, might stay one below that. Car is a 94, stock cubes, stock size Manley Race Flo valves, mild bowl porting and just a touch in the runners. Already have the 1.6 Crane Gold self-aligning rockers, and probably go Patriot dual springs (have the 1996 LT4 springs now), because similar specs to the beehives, but much better price with titanium retainers, seals and all included. Gonna go hardened moly pushrods, mostly for stiffness, and wondering if the Crane 10530 lifters I have will handle it, or if stock are better, or what.

I'm interested in feedback about what these aggressive lobes are like to live with, tune, and whether the performance is significantly better than a milder ramp, or what other relatively wild cams folks would suggest for a mostly street but far from daily driver 94?
I would suggest NOT doing any of this. A huge cam in a daily drive with a wide LSA and springs that probably will not live long or handle the shape of the lobe is all a VERY bad idea.

Bret

Quick Reply: Anyone running 'big' XFI cam on LT1?