LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ignition options, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition options, need help!

I'm currently debating on whether I should by and MSD crank trigger distributor and put in it with the single plane.
-or-
build some sort of a delteq kit for my car (where you use 4- GM two-pole coils) and run a true DIS.

me and an electronics-genius friend were discussing the added benefits of a Distributor-less ignition system, and he enlightened me about how the dwell time on the coil could be greater because it's not working it's *** off to fire 4 cylinders per crank revolution and could actually dwell longer (higher voltage) and discharge as normal and be much more efficient at doing so.

anyway, he went off on some tangeant about how simple it would be to build such an electronic creature, stating that since he had all the required parts (coils, etc.) and that he would not want to run the standard cadillac North-star ignition module (because he could build the electronics to do a better job) that the whole system would cost around... 5 bucks.
this may not be as a tried and true method as the conventional distributor with 1 coil and a cap and rotor setup. but it's bound to help by getting the spark energy away from the fragile opti-spark electronics.

I don't know the full details to everything, but this guy's a genius. he somehow managed to get a GM computer to run a Magnum 360 in a '94 dakota using the chrysler crank trigger signal (with only 6 slots) and building some sort of pulse divider to make it work out to what a GM wants to see. all while keeping the factory computer in the truck for the ASD relay, as well as the voltage regulator and tach lead. the guy goes by the name Bluecat.