LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS

I wanted to post this as a separate thread because there are alot of LT1 T/A owners that ask about foglight replacement with upgraded bulbs or HID kits. I chose a set of the OPTILUX (hella) foglights because the physical size is pretty close to the factory foglights (optilux are a bit smaller than the factory) in my 1996 WS6. The optilux also has an option for the outer ring to be powered with LED's. The LED's in my fogs were a white-ish blue, it appears that anyone proficient with a soldering gun could easily change out the LED's to be different colors. If you choose to do this I might suggest using one of the board vendors, LEDguages.com I completely dis-assembled the front end of the car because I'm doing alot of wiring for different items and I knew it would be easier to install the foglights with the bumper cover off the car. You would be surprised at how long it takes to remove the front-end of a F-body, basically took me about 20 minutes screwing around. I then proceeded to remove both foglight factory brackets. Took some extra time and had the brackets gloss black powdercoated and used all stainless hardware for re-securing the bracket and the new foglights. I actually made a mock-up out of wood with the factory fog in the factory bracket to get the right setting for drilling two holes on each bracket for the new foglight hanger. I used two aluminum 1/4 spacers under each supplied bracket hanger to position the foglights a little further out into the factory T/A fog openings. Aluminum spacers were about a $1 in parts , stainless hardware actually cost a couple of bucks $2. Once all the holes and mounts lined up I simply put everything together and it fit like a glove. You do have some play to move the fog bracket to the left or right just slightly to tighten-up the beam pattern in the middle. I will definitely suggest you check the height of the of the foglight after you install the items. Mine were pointed up about 5 degrees to high. After finishing the modifications I then chose to fill the new foglights with a H3 6000k HID kit. WOW, is all I can say about HID's and the new foglights. It is so night and day it's ridiculous ! I actually ran just my fogs on a dark lit road to see how much it would light up the street at night and it was enough I could have drove with just the foglights. If anyone is considering doing a upgrade, definitely consider a HID foglight upgrade ! Once again, we do have a vendor or two that could set you up with what you need .

Here are some pics:

Old 10-08-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was this hole setup? and where can i get this stuff?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the same lights in mine, you will be happy with them, very bright. I didn't use the brakets that came with them, I used the factory brackets with a little tweaking that way I retained the vertical adjuster.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the Optilux (hella) can be found on ebay for $40-60 ? HID H3 kit anywhere from $150 to $300, depending on quality and brand name. Powdercoating usually about $25-50 for two brackets that size and $5 in stainless and aluminum hardware. We do have some vendors that could supply some of the items I used. Make sure and check the vendor list first

Quick Reply: HID foglights install for LT1 T/A's, WS6's, PICS