LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

TRUE DUAL folks come in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking TRUE DUAL folks come in!

im going a different route with my exhaust when i put my new engine in next week, was wanting some suggestions and such.

first of all the motor is a 383 LT1, eagle esp crank, forged pistons and all the goodies, cam is 230/236@.50 / .555/.565 112lsa with 1.6 rockers. ported stockers flowing 270/175 in 28". comp. is 11:1.

i was thinking of doing some bitch pipes. or some sort of dumps under the car with bullet mufflers.

if yall dont mind posting up some pics of your setups and comments i would really appreciate it.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

nobody logged on with true duals?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

I dont have any pics
Old 10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Has Unresolved Sales

dont have pics. but i can tell you that mine scrape on the floor...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Ive got a set (no pics at this time) But im running a Jegs brand 3in X-pipe into bullets. the only clearance issue I have is with the X but I only scrap on really big speed-bumps
Old 10-25-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldn't dump it out in front of your rearend just because of the extreme heat. so go over the rear end and then dump it
Old 10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.lt1engine.com/media/album_cat.php?cat_id=7

if anyone has more pics, feel free to upload them.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run hooker long tubes to the a torque tech universal 3 inch x pipe to bullets and then ran over the axle and out the back. Sorry no pics yet though, car is at the shop I'll try and snap some next time I go up there.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Pacesetter long tubes & TSP X-pipe, (3" throughout) on my LT1. Dumps in front of the axle. It does sit a little low and is worsened since I've got the SS and is lowered still (changing that soon).

Pro's : Sounds great, great flow (overkill really)

Con's : Sits low, leaves exhaust resedew all over the underside, possible heat issues (fuel lines..)

Not sure if this is good or bad, depends on the person but, dumping under the car makes it LOUD! REALLY FREAK'n loud and the resonance will vibrate all through the inside too. My car has no problem with the resonance and vibrating since I have tons of dynamat for my stereo. I have a buddy with the same setup and its like every removable piece of anything inside the cabin is vibrating and rattling. He has a cam too though... just worth mentioning.

Last edited by hyperzone; 10-25-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White 96LT1
i wouldn't dump it out in front of your rearend just because of the extreme heat. so go over the rear end and then dump it
Well um yea, the whole getting it over the rear end is the reason most people do dumps in the first place, once you get it over the rear end you might as well finish the system since it would be stupid to do other wise
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, i dont really want to blow my own ears off riding down the road. if i do dumps right before the axle is it as bad? what about the muffler selection, whats the difference in between the sweet thunders and the dynomax bullets, i hear about these alot with true duals, are the sweet thunders a little more restrictive?

basically i want my 383 to be able to breath nicely, but i dont really want overkill. is it real hard to get over the axle with 2 pipes? if i go the full route over the axle with 2 pipes, the mufflers still go up under the car right?

i think that might be best because i dont really want a headache when i drive, but i do want the **** to be loud as hell.

oh yeah, i really appreciate yall posting up pics and links for me, thats real cool.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking into doing this also... Pacesetter LT's, no cats, x-pipe, and still looking for mufflers... anyone have any vids/sound clips?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im selling a 4" Mufflex catback and looking to go true duals. It'll either be that or I'll keep the y-pipe and just run a single 4" into a Bullet muffler with a turn-down before the axle.

If I do a true dual setup, Im considering going with an x-pipe after my Pacesetter Longtubes, extending the pipes after the X to get closer to the side skirts then 45* to run parallel to the skirts into bullets with turndowns pointing out just in front of the rear wheels.
Anyone have more pics to look at?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the universal true dual kit made by flowmaster. I just put the car up on blocks and built it, it was extremely easy to do. I ran 12" bullets with the supplied h-pipe and 3" all the way back dumped before the rear axle. It was only about 220 or so for the kit and very easy to build. I have eibach pro-kit and the exhaust has never scraped the ground. The long tubes hang lower than the pipes. I actually built another set with the pipes i had left over if you are interested in buying it. I have pacesetter long tubes and thats what the pipes are made for, not sure if other headers are the same. I have the piping to the bullets and back from the bullets but i dont have any bullets, h-pipe or dumps. Let me know. This is what mine looks like:

Once you click it you can scroll through on that page and look at the rest of the pics.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

that looks nice, how does that paint hold up?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used the 1200º header paint about 8 months ago and dont have any signs of rust.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
well, i dont really want to blow my own ears off riding down the road. if i do dumps right before the axle is it as bad? what about the muffler selection, whats the difference in between the sweet thunders and the dynomax bullets, i hear about these alot with true duals, are the sweet thunders a little more restrictive?

basically i want my 383 to be able to breath nicely, but i dont really want overkill. is it real hard to get over the axle with 2 pipes? if i go the full route over the axle with 2 pipes, the mufflers still go up under the car right?

i think that might be best because i dont really want a headache when i drive, but i do want the **** to be loud as hell.

oh yeah, i really appreciate yall posting up pics and links for me, thats real cool.
Dumps are damn loud, your radio becomes useless and so does speaking to someone in shotgun unless your yelling to them. Even with the windows up the drone sucks, for a street car unless it is just a weekend car I wouldn't recomend dumps. Even with mine ran over the axle and out the back it is still plenty loud do not worry about it being quiet. Not sure about the sweet thunders, I run bullets they are a straight through resonator type muffler, they sound good but other people will think differently.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

3" Magna Flows are 4" thick and the 3" Edelbrock 304 series are 3 5/8"...Both sound good and are wayyyyy quieter than the bullets while offering good ground clearance..I'm going to use either when I do mine...

--Alan
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have like a 2 min video of some clips of my setup. Motor is stock, I have K&N CAI, delteq ignition, hypertech programming, pacesetter LT's, and TSP X-pipe. The video doesn't do justice to the low bass sound of the exhaust. Its not loud enough to not drive it.... It only really screams when you open it up. Just idling or cruising, its alright (depends on your taste though). With a cam though, this setup is pretty sick. I have a friend with an LS1 TA with a cam and this same exhaust... I have video of that somewhere as well.

My 1996 Camaro SS exhaust clips
Old 10-26-2006, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

I custom made a TD setup thats 2.5" with Dynomax bullets. At idle its not bad, but at WOT its just F*cking insane. Ill take some pictures since I took it out for engine removal. I need to upload some videos of how it sounds. I think I have one on my myspace.

Quick Reply: TRUE DUAL folks come in!