LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any and all opinions wanted!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any and all opinions wanted!!!

Ok, I'm somewhat new to this site but I've been a member long enough to know that there are alot of people on here that who know there **** when it comes to LT1's. I have a 97 A4 Z28 with 110,000 miles on her. She's completely stock other than a K&N CAI that the owner before me put on. So, here's the question: if you had this car and were able to save around 5-6k... what performance mods would you get for her? I have some idea's, but would like your input. Thanks, Chris.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

You looking for something reliable or just a toy to go fast in till it breaks? At first thought, I would say rebuild the motor and just put in a better cam and add headers, OR get a crate motor. I mean, 110K isn't the greatest time to just go all out with a bunch of mods and see how it holds up. Otherwise, at least change out the OPTI with something more reliable, put on headers & cat back, cam swap or at least new valve springs, and a dyno tune. Really depends on what the cars purpose is and if you have something else to drive around on the side.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I don't have a beater to get around in yet. The Z is it for now. I'm just lookin to make her a really strong car that i can still (relatively) comfortably drive around town.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looking back on things i would have definitely replaced the rear first. after collecting parts for about 6 months i broke my the posi unit and was stuck with close to 4k in parts sitting in the closet (h/c swap). I now have a 9" sitting in the garage waiting to go in but the unexpected expense sucked. the a4 is easier on the rear than the m6 but still a weak link. mod from the rear forward and you will be happy in the end
Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Is there any reason why you went with the 9" instead of the 12 bolt? Been lookin, but haven't made up my mind on what rear end i want yet.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Eventually i want to go with some kind of turbo setup. Maybe STS unless someone comes out with a kit for less dough.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say to keep saving the money untill you know exactly for sure it is what you want to do with the car, get yourself a beater car/truck for the winter. Its a lot more expensive to start putting parts on a car only to find out you wanted to go in a different direction with it and have to buy different parts because they won't work together. If you want to mod it and keep it a street car and reliable, look into freashening things up a little bit. I think I would keep the stock 10-bolt with the A4(but rebuild the rear), unless you plan on racing the car more than a couple of times a year.
My 96 had 136,000 on it b4 it got totaled, everything was stock and nothing rebuilt and it ran great, although I had changed all the fluids and did a tune-up except only replacing the cap and rotor soon after I bought it. It saw extreme use during its time as a NYS trooper car, beaten everyday it was in use and extended ideling. NYS pollice only changed the oil every 5,000mi and did full service at that time as well. I when I bought it the tranny had been replaced since the bell-housing was cracked, but the rear was still okay, probably b/c i didn't race the car much at all it never gave out on me.

Last edited by B4CZR2; 10-25-2006 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Any and all opinions wanted!!!