LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Which Cam should I go for?
GM 847
58.06%
CC306
25.81%
LT4 Hotcam
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Christmas Cam

Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Christmas Cam

My Camaros gettin some miles on her so I'm investing money in a new crate motor' Just gunna get a stock LT1 with low to no miles on it and build it up head cam' headers new exaust ect. The motor in the car now is the police prosuit matching numbers motor and has well over 178,000 miles 30,000 - 40,000 I put on myself. I've asked the fam' to help me out since the motor itself is going to be my biggest investment - looking to spend 1-2 K on a new motor itself.

- Anyways first Item to collect and go into my closet is the cam/springs

The two cams I'm looking into are the GM 847 cam and the CC306. - all the LT4 stuff is pretty expensive but I'm also looking for durability soo open to the idea of diffrent levels of the LT4.

Also with each of the cams I'd like to know what kind of spring/lifter setup i'm going for here and what internals I need to purchase aswell as the cam itself?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cc306 and the gm847 are aggressive cams, the lt4 hotcam is not. So depending what your goals and supporting mods are going to be will determine which type of cam you should get.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt197formula
The cc306 and the gm847 are aggressive cams, the lt4 hotcam is not. So depending what your goals and supporting mods are going to be will determine which type of cam you should get.

I'll be more blunt too A cam that'll keep up with some o' the LS1s that come outta TSP - *Lives in the same town TSP is located*.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

I go cc306 or even better a custom grind
Old 10-26-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm Gotta tie already!! - You guys are doin great - keep up the suggestions and like I said any help with the springs/rockers/lifters i'll need would be of great help to me! Also a good head would be nice awell as the motor i build is going to get head/cam. As long as this is a streetable vehicle that can be driven daily *not for long distances* I dont mind how radical it really gets - I'll have a backup motor *that I plan to do a stock rebuild to anyways* just incase this one has issues.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Regular

It'll take more than a cam to keep up with the TSP head/cam LS1 cars. Aftermarket ported heads and a big custum cam might do it.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking at Tame, Mild and Wild. Figure out what you really want and what you can deal with.

Its a night to day diff when you talk hotcam vs GM847.

I say go in the middle.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sssalah
It'll take more than a cam to keep up with the TSP head/cam LS1 cars. Aftermarket ported heads and a big custum cam might do it.
True, I've visited the shop before . . . I was just sorta in a dream land I suppose - I'll just stick with "Beats stock LS1s"

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Your looking at Tame, Mild and Wild. Figure out what you really want and what you can deal with.

Its a night to day diff when you talk hotcam vs GM847.

I say go in the middle.

When you say go in the middle your talking about the CC306 right?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

custom cams are about the same price, and are set for your combo to make more useful power. great setups win races, not just big lopey cams.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KriegerEhre
True, I've visited the shop before . . . I was just sorta in a dream land I suppose - I'll just stick with "Beats stock LS1s"

When you say go in the middle your talking about the CC306 right?
Yea, I myself is more of a fan of making a set to match my needs hence I would go custom grind more max power. But cc306 is a good cam. GM847 is a pretty big bumpstick.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The gm847 is not that much more aggressive than the cc306. I run the cc306 it makes good power if I hadn't found it used I would have gone with the gm847 though. You can't go wrong with either just make sure to have a pair of well ported heads to flow with either of these cams. Or what is always better is a custom cam just depends if you want to throw down the cash for one.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Go with the 847. I wish I would have went with that cam.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

It's been said time and time again, that if you're going to get your heads ported at the same time you buy a new cam, you're always better off getting a custom cam designed for the heads you buy. Usually this is done by the people who port the heads or a team, like Lloyd Elliot and Bret Bauer. Between them and AI you just have to decide how much you want to spend. Getting some heads from them will also get you all the hardware you'll need except for pushrods and RR. If you want to go budget like me you'll get the GM 847 and some home ported heads and run the almost guarunteed possibility of leaving some good hp on the table, but I'm not trying to set any records, just beat some LS1's and cobras.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by seawolf06
It's been said time and time again, that if you're going to get your heads ported at the same time you buy a new cam, you're always better off getting a custom cam designed for the heads you buy. Usually this is done by the people who port the heads or a team, like Lloyd Elliot and Bret Bauer. Between them and AI you just have to decide how much you want to spend. Getting some heads from them will also get you all the hardware you'll need except for pushrods and RR. If you want to go budget like me you'll get the GM 847 and some home ported heads and run the almost guarunteed possibility of leaving some good hp on the table, but I'm not trying to set any records, just beat some LS1's and cobras.

That's all I wana doo tooo

But yes, this is really a project that's going to take time saving up for. So I figured I'd get the Cam first save up for the heads and just slowly collect everything i needed in my closet untell time comes to build the motor!

Last edited by KriegerEhre; 10-27-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Check into the XFI series cams by comp, I'd say the 07-468-8 "268XFI" would be good on a set of ported heads on a 350. I'm getting 24 mpg on this cam right now.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with a custom camshaft, well im in the same boat and I went with a custom camshaft. Minimum requirements for a cam install (to most) are appropriate springs, valve stem seals, rocker arms, hardened pushrods, timing chain, lifters, headers, exhaust, and intake. Those are the minimum, I actually went ahead and just rebuilt my motor since i have heard of some motors loosing cam bearings because of the "pattern" already set in place with the old cam and the new one gets fucked up. People think you can just "throw" a cam in there, but there is a right way to do it and a cheap way, I did it the right way, even getting my alternator, water pump, powersteering pump, and ac compressor all rebuilt or replaced.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zlover129
I would go with a custom camshaft, well im in the same boat and I went with a custom camshaft. Minimum requirements for a cam install (to most) are appropriate springs, valve stem seals, rocker arms, hardened pushrods, timing chain, lifters, headers, exhaust, and intake. Those are the minimum, I actually went ahead and just rebuilt my motor since i have heard of some motors loosing cam bearings because of the "pattern" already set in place with the old cam and the new one gets fucked up. People think you can just "throw" a cam in there, but there is a right way to do it and a cheap way, I did it the right way, even getting my alternator, water pump, powersteering pump, and ac compressor all rebuilt or replaced.

Yes, this is why I'm saving up for all the needed accessories - I plan to have the car together by this time next year but I need to start saving like *right now*. I dont plan to use my motor and rebuild it and just throw a cam - like I said I'm going to find a low mileage lt1 and build a crate motor and then just stab it inplace of the old motor *after I take the transmission to be serviced*

- This is a project I want to take as much care to as possible. So I can have some fun without being too worried.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Go with the GM847, especially if you plan to slap on a set of ported heads.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

which would be more mild, a hotcam or the gm846
Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattZ28
Go with the GM847, especially if you plan to slap on a set of ported heads.

Sounds like we have a winner. . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Christmas Cam