LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What are all the parts I need for a complete header install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are all the parts I need for a complete header install?

I want to convert my 97 dual-cat car into a 95-96 single-cat car using the MAC mid-length headers and y-pipe. I know I will need felpro header gaskets and a high-flow cat. Seeing as how the MAC y-pipe is 2.5" and my Borla cat-back is 3", I will need a 2.5" in/3" out cat.

What will be needed to connect the single-cat y-pipe to my cat-back? Just some bending?

I want to get locking header bolts so that I don't have to worry about them coming loose.

What are the other things I will need to install these headers? Will I need O2 extensions? If so, what kind, and where to get them?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

With mids I wouldn't think you would need extensions. I would personally go ahead and install everything (the headers and the new Y/cat combo) and drive it to a shop for welding. I would venture to say that something isn't going to line up. Your off the shelf catback, is for the dual cat setup of which you are removing. I don't have experience there but I would say it's different somehow from the single cat setup.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I know I will need to have it fit together by my muffler shop, especially with the cat. I just want to know what I need to buy before I start the header swap.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

i have a set of MAC's on a 95 and MAC sells a hi-flo ca that goes from 2.5 to 3 inches. also, the MAC's have two O2 sensor bungs and I had to extend my O2 wires to fit them to the bungs in the collectors. i used a set of bosch exensions bought at the local advanced auto parts store. and lastly the MACs come with copper gaskets which are way better than felpro. copper won't burn up if thers a header leak like a felpro will.... but the only thing i would worry abou is the EGR mounts being in the righ places and AIR fitting being in the right place when converting from 2 cat system to 1. if that stuff is the same then u should be ok. good luck
Old 10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

I was planning on remove the egr/air while I was at it.

Quick Reply: What are all the parts I need for a complete header install?