LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird exhaust problem

Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird exhaust problem

I can't keep my collector nuts and bolts on my car. The headers are Hedman shorties with the new style collectors. They are the ball and cup style that do not require a gasket. I used the nuts and bolts that came with the headers to bolt the Y pipe up and they fell off after a month of driving after the swap. I put some new ones on it thinking that I may have not tightend them enough and they came off again about a month later. The 3rd time I tried putting lock washers on them and after about a month, they came off again. The 4th time I used high heat lock tight and lock washers with new bolts and they came off again today. Since putting the locktight on, I haven't had a problem for 6 months. Every time I change my oil I put atleast 3 full turns tightening them back down. Has anyone ever heard of any problems with the new style collectors or know of a solution to this?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

That's alot of expansion if it's doing that. Try putting another nut over the one that you tighten down, and tighten that one down as well. Just an old trick..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright Im gonna try that and see if it stays.

Search this Thread