LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hoping my opti is bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping my opti is bad

It sounds funny, but I'm hoping my opti is bad in my car because I don't know where to go if it isn't. I have replaced nearly all the ignition stuff (cap/rotor, ICM, Coil, plug wires, plugs) and had put on a different opti that was supposed to be good. I also found that I had a leaking FPR that was sucking gas into the intake under vacuum which has been fixed. The fuel pressure is sitting around 39-40 with the line on and around 44-45 with it off. I also put in a new fuel filter to round out the tune up.

Sometimes it takes a lot of cranks to get it fired up, is like backfiring under easy load while driving especially in OD. I noticed while logging this weekend that at times I will get as high as 6-8 degrees retarding on the timing just driving easy. I have only got check engine codes one time, but did get both a low and high res code. I have ordered a new MSD Billet opti and I'm praying this cures my issues. The plugs have all been pretty consistant either real dark if idling alot or nearly white when driving.

The fuel pressure always looks good and the I have a PCM Performance mail order tune that should be pretty close for my setup, so I just don't know what else it could be. I had even set my car to run in Speed Density/Open Loop, then Speed Density/Closed Loop and then back to normal without any significant changes. What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

So I got my old optispark out tonight and check out the inside of the cap......

Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Anybody seen this before? I'm assuming it is just corrosion with the brass, but this cap is not very old. Just want to make sure it doesn't happen to my new one.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

I've seen this type of corrosion before on different vehicles and it doesn't necessarily create a problem.

Do you have any reason to suspect a vacuum leak and does the car idle okay?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

It does idle bad at times, but I have not found any indication of vacuum leaks. I plugged off some of the extra vacuum like the hvac for testing and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and TB, but have never got any revs.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Are you positive your plug wires aren't arching?

Run the car at night and make sure you don't see any small lightshows under the hood. Have you tested your ignition coil? Check this out:
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Also -- just a shot in the dark but did you double check your wiring harness going from the PCM to the opti? I'm sure you have because you pulled it off, but sometimes its just the harness connection is old/corroded from being exposed to moisture, heat cycling, and oil. So its worth a shot.

Another thing that could be silly but worth checking -- are you positive your wires are hooked up properly on the opti and their appropriate plug? I did plug wires on a friend's car and it was running like crap, and we were completely stumped. Then we realized they we just didn't hook the wires up properly from the opti to its corresponding cylinder, and that was causing it to run poorly (if at all).
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I haven't tried looking under the hood in the dark, but that is a good idea. I have new over the valve cover plug wires that I ran because the originals when I bought the car were burnt in spots. Thanks for the link I will double check that as well.

I do have a new coil and ICM that I put on within the last month though along with a new opti harness since I read that a number of people had those go bad.

It's funny you mentioned the wire order because my dad has asked me the same thing a couple times. lol Last time I put the opti on I had the service manual and printout from Shoebox's website with the wire order and I checked it twice to make sure.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rbrcka
I haven't tried looking under the hood in the dark, but that is a good idea. I have new over the valve cover plug wires that I ran because the originals when I bought the car were burnt in spots. Thanks for the link I will double check that as well.

I do have a new coil and ICM that I put on within the last month though along with a new opti harness since I read that a number of people had those go bad.

It's funny you mentioned the wire order because my dad has asked me the same thing a couple times. lol Last time I put the opti on I had the service manual and printout from Shoebox's website with the wire order and I checked it twice to make sure.
Pull your plugs and make sure they aren't fouled. What plug are you running? What gap?

Do you use dielectric grease in the plug wire boots? Double check the connection of the plug wire going from the coil to the opti. Make sure it pops on there good on the coil.
If you're positive your plug wires aren't cut, nicked, or burnt -- then you can probably count those out.

It could very possibly be your opti, but I'd check all of the other stuff beforehand.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Got my new MSD Opti put on tonight and it cured all my issues. I still can't believe it actually, because I've been fighting this for a long time now. Gonna sleep easier tonight for sure!! lol

Quick Reply: Hoping my opti is bad