LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking To Carb An Lt1

Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking To Carb An Lt1

WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO CARB MY LT1? iKNOW I NEED AN INTAKE CARB AND DISTRIBUTOR...... AND IF I GOT A DISTRIBUTOR DO I HAVE TO GET A SPECIAL ONE OR WILL ANY SMALLBLOCK CHEVY ONE WORK? AND A HEI DISTRIBUTOR WILL WORK FINE?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

1st, hit your CAPS LOCK key.

2nd, easiest way is to get the GMPP LT1 carb intake. any other intake you'll have to modify a couple of the bolt holes. you'll also need either a opti block off plate for the timing cover, or just leave the opti in place. any distributor will work.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

waste of time, just get a gen I engine if you want to go carb
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by plaf713
waste of time, just get a gen I engine if you want to go carb
I've seen quite a few of you NY guys doing this swap, in fact one of my best friends did it too, from Saratoga I think, he dropped a full second off his ET, it's a waste when you don't know how to do it right. But I agree with FI being the prime setup on our lt1s, it's just when you get to a point like where I'm at now, you start pricing something like FAST or BigStuff and for $3500 to set it up right, you can't help but look at going carb, it's just tempting.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Teching In

gmpp makes a lt1 and an lt4 intake the lt4 has a little larger ports can i use the lt4 intake instead of the lt1 or will it not fit? whos carb should i go with and what size? i have been looking at the edelbrock thunder series AVS 650 or 800 cfms electric choke is one of theas a good one to go with?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -PEPE-
I've seen quite a few of you NY guys doing this swap, in fact one of my best friends did it too, from Saratoga I think, he dropped a full second off his ET, it's a waste when you don't know how to do it right. But I agree with FI being the prime setup on our lt1s, it's just when you get to a point like where I'm at now, you start pricing something like FAST or BigStuff and for $3500 to set it up right, you can't help but look at going carb, it's just tempting.
i def agree with you, i just think to get an extra 20 hp out of a 400 hp motor, its not worth it, but in your case it is. by the way i am about 20 minutes south of saratoga. how do you knwo people there? i saw that you were from texas.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by plaf713
i def agree with you, i just think to get an extra 20 hp out of a 400 hp motor, its not worth it, but in your case it is. by the way i am about 20 minutes south of saratoga. how do you knwo people there? i saw that you were from texas.
my buddies name is Ernie Plascencia, he was from up there in Saratoga, he had a 93 Formula, 383 stroker, always told me these stories about street racing up there. BTW I would agree not to go through the headache just for 20 hp, if it were going to net you another 45-50 rwhp like I think it will for me then definitely I'm going to considering it, but still debating what I'll do.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

gmpp makes a lt1 and an lt4 intake the lt4 has a little larger ports can i use the lt4 intake instead of the lt1 or will it not fit? whos carb should i go with and what size? i have been looking at the edelbrock thunder series AVS 650 or 800 cfms electric choke is one of theas a good one to go with?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madmatt97
well I'm looking at the SuperVic single plane just cuz it works so well with the big boys in here that are doing FI. I may even stick with FI myself, but the dual plane intakes and my setup would not be a good match, even a VicJr would be undersized a little. I'm wanting to go with a good Holley with replaceable venturi's etc, something around the 950 cfm area at a minimum. I'm not worried about choking mine so I'm not sure what to tell you for which carb. My thought is this, if you're halfway there (give or take) with your build then stick with FI, if you're at a max performance level and you want to leap then go with the extreme *****! You can always do a SuperVic and stay FI and have a crazy beast but there is some effort involved along with cash. An aftermarket PCM would be a must have, crank position or cam position would be another issue, you might consider an aftermarket "real" distributor and crank trigger. I'm told I would not need the crank trigger since I have the MSD6AL, not sure that's correct thought because of the spark timing and where that signal would come from, still trying to iron that out in my head and if what I'm being told even makes sense. Seems I'd still need a crank trigger with a carb regardless but I could be wrong.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only two I'm seeing in their 07 Catalog is 2450259 and 19170031, which is the same thing but pretty powder coated. Both are LT1. Check gmpartsdirect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking To Carb An Lt1