LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broke Beehive Valve Spring

Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke Beehive Valve Spring

Well I was driving around today and car starting running like ****. So I made it back to the house and checked it over. Lost compression on #6 cylinder. Pulled the valve cover off and the valve spring broke right near the top. I'm pretty pissed right now since I've only put about 100 miles on the motor. I don't know if I got more problems or just a bad spring. It's the 918 Beehive springs. I talked to plenty of people that said these were the ones I needed, so I got'em. So I did a search on camaroz28 and found 8 pages of people with the same problem. Have any of you with LT1's had problems with these springs? Or what kind you running? I will be calling Comp Cams tomorrow to solve this situation. Hopefully they will help me out. It was fun while it lasted
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm....****!! hope im not in the same boat as you in about 15 miles..im using the Beehives as well and have put 85miles on em...so far so good though.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

yeah i should have my motor together in like 2 weeks and i have the same springs, i have been hopin and praying this doesnt happen to me
Old 07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine since last December and I have had no problems. About 8000 miles on them.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slowZ28
Well I was driving around today and car starting running like ****. So I made it back to the house and checked it over. Lost compression on #6 cylinder. Pulled the valve cover off and the valve spring broke right near the top. I'm pretty pissed right now since I've only put about 100 miles on the motor. I don't know if I got more problems or just a bad spring. It's the 918 Beehive springs. I talked to plenty of people that said these were the ones I needed, so I got'em. So I did a search on camaroz28 and found 8 pages of people with the same problem. Have any of you with LT1's had problems with these springs? Or what kind you running? I will be calling Comp Cams tomorrow to solve this situation. Hopefully they will help me out. It was fun while it lasted
From the threads on camaroz28.com it appears comp is just trying to cover their asses and not do anything about it. Apparently they just cheaped out and went to the lowest bidder (supposedly a spring manufacturer in Mexico) and continued charging the same price to make a few more bucks. If you have to replace your springs out of your own pocket get the 1218s or 1518s from PAC, they used to be the manufacturer of the pre-failure 918s. 1218s are the spring that used to be sold as Comp 26918s before they switched to the "lowest bidder" and the 1518 is a more expensive version that allows for up to .650" lift. You can use the same locks, seats, retainers, etc on all of those springs. I recently purchased a new set of ported TFS heads that had 918s in them and those threads were enough to steer me away from ever using those springs. I got in on a PAC-1518 GP on camaroz28.com so I could use the same seats, locks, and retainers. At least now I won't be losing sleep over springs breaking, and I don't think I'll be purchasing any Comp Cams products anymore.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would be pissed..there has to be some kind of manufacture's warranty..
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Alot of people have been having these break recently, and it's all within the first 100 miles or so.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comp Cams switched Suppliers for the Comp 918 Beehives and they've been total crap since. Avoid them like the plague till Comp gets their stuff straight again.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

got a set from Summit earlier this year, zero problems so far, and thats ******* my car alot too. Have about 300 miles so far, dont drive it too much
Old 07-26-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Regular

in those other threads they have a list of batch numbers. if you guys wanna see if you have one of those batchs. hate to hear that 1slowz28, where is nc you live?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
got a set from Summit earlier this year, zero problems so far, and thats ******* my car alot too. Have about 300 miles so far, dont drive it too much
Same here, on the miles atleast. I bought my springs last june at a Super Chevy Show. One of the venders had them there. I bought the only set that he had. The box was pretty faded so I'm hoping that the springs that I bought were old enough to be made by PAC. A friend of mine and I have been discussing buying several sets from Pac and reselling. Would any of you guys be in? I fuess I have to be careful what I say since I'm not a vendor.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

What size cam and was the valve spring installed height verified on ALL springs, if your near max lift, you NEED to have that done. I had a Bauer cam which was a lil beyond 918 springs and the installed height was done by him. Never an issue.

I would suspect installer error before a mechanical failure.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
What size cam and was the valve spring installed height verified on ALL springs, if your near max lift, you NEED to have that done. I had a Bauer cam which was a lil beyond 918 springs and the installed height was done by him. Never an issue.

I would suspect installer error before a mechanical failure.
That's possible, just for the record my install height is between 1.77-1.78
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Internet Mechanic

Installed height needs to be 1.800" I forget the coil bind becuase I dont have the spec card infront of me. if your height was 1.77-1.78, you needed to add shims. its been said you can shim up to 0.040" which was in range for your appication, more then that needed means the spring is inadaquate for your application.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back to planet earth...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=717173&page=1
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&highlight=918
Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
in those other threads they have a list of batch numbers. if you guys wanna see if you have one of those batchs. hate to hear that 1slowz28, where is nc you live?
I have my batch number just in case you want it.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I got duals before they came out with the beehives. However, if I needed springs I would definitely choose PAC.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I got duals before they came out with the beehives. However, if I needed springs I would definitely choose PAC.
I'm looking at the 986s when I start assembling my new set of heads. The PAC 1518s are the cream of the crop. Shon Herron actually has a killer deal right now on them.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Spoke to one of the techs at Comp and they were not very helpful. He just told me that I probably got a bad batch of springs. He wanted me to send them in so they could take at look at them and exchange for some new ones.
Well I really didn't want to take the heads off just to replace the springs. So I called Summit(originally bought from) and they were more than happy to send some new ones.

If I had known these where going to be a problem, I deff. would have went a different route. As for the installer error, don't think he would have got it wrong. Whenever he did the porting and valve job, he didn't like the Beehives for somereason. That should have been a sign . He's coming to look at it this afternoon, so we'll see what he says.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Installed height needs to be 1.800" I forget the coil bind becuase I dont have the spec card infront of me. if your height was 1.77-1.78, you needed to add shims. its been said you can shim up to 0.040" which was in range for your appication, more then that needed means the spring is inadaquate for your application.
Uhhh, If I add shims it will close up my install height, besides Lloyd runs em tighter than that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broke Beehive Valve Spring