LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CSR electric water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CSR electric water pump?

Found one with gutted housing for $175. I dont know a lot about ewp's as far as meziere and CSR go..This is a new unit boxed up am I getting a deal? Suggestions? Anything else I should know? (Im aware of hotter running temps)
Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

I've run one for almost 2 years, can't go wrong with it. and no, you shouldn't have hotter running temps.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

I believe it makes the car run cooler while moving but hotter while its sitting or something along those lines. I was able to dig up older threads comparing the Meziere and CSI[R] pumps and it seems to be preference or the nod to the CSR because its cheaper. Its exciting also exciting to see ewps yielding 8-15 rwhp in H/C applications
Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

CSI and no probs here

electrical runs constant speed
mechanical varies with rpm

the CSI required modding the stock housing, but it's nothing hard to do at all
Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both ewp's require modding the stock housing. I went with the Meziere myself.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
I believe it makes the car run cooler while moving but hotter while its sitting or something along those lines. I was able to dig up older threads comparing the Meziere and CSI[R] pumps and it seems to be preference or the nod to the CSR because its cheaper. Its exciting also exciting to see ewps yielding 8-15 rwhp in H/C applications
Its the opposite it makes it cooler while sitting still but hotter while moving than a mechanical would be.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LiENUS
Its the opposite it makes it cooler while sitting still but hotter while moving than a mechanical would be.
Oh thanks for the correction.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

$175 is the new price from Summit so decide whether you want to pay a private party this, whether the gutted housing is worth it too you.

The electrics free up power by doing less work, plain and simple as that, seeing as the stocker uses .17hp per gallon per minute and 66gmp through the block's restriction at 6000rpms that is 11hp. So the claims of over 10rwhp FREED up by an electric are less than believable. They do free up power and will make a car faster at the strip, they also allow between rounds cool down so I am not trying to dissuade anyone from using one, just want the facts to be straight.

The guys who actually take the time to understand and think things through have sometimes noticed higher cruise temps which is a good indication that the 35-37gpm(freeflow ratings) units once restricted by the cooling system are moving less than the mechanical by the 2200 or so average cruise rpm.

One other plus that few will see advantage from with the electric is if you are spinning VERY high the mechanical will most certainly begin to cavitate, probably not truely an issue with the stock pcm but worth noting.

If you don't think installing the pump on the block will place a big restriction on it look inside the stocker once, basically just a fan, restriction will reduce flow because a fan will not produce signifigant pressure.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for advice and info guys, talked him down to $150 since you can get the CSI pumps on Scoggin Dickey for $154.95. It's also apparently ready to be slapped on:

"It will come with a water pump housing that is already gutted and clearanced for it. All you would have to do is put the freeze plug in the back of the pump and bolt the pump onto the housing."

thanks again
Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ull need a 1le elbow or need to plug your original elbow because you'll have to remove the silencer from the stock one. a shampoo bottle cap with silicone works well, or im selling one if you dont even wanna bother lol
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy picked up a used one (not many hours on it and just the motor, not the housing) for like $115. I've been on vaca though and haven't asked how it's worked out heh

Quick Reply: CSR electric water pump?