LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So do I have a strong running LT1 or am I imagining things?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So do I have a strong running LT1 or am I imagining things?

The Z28 I got a couple months ago has had some problems that have kept me from driving it much until just recently. It has 135k miles on it right now, and externally it definitely doesn't look new anymore (scratches and chips in the paint and stuff). The mechanical problems were mostly tranny things that I worried were problems so I didn't drive it much. It had been rebuilt 18k ago supposedly, but was acting funny. I knew it had a pretty strong running engine since it would still pull pretty well, and it ran perfectly, but I couldn't really feel it's full potential because it would shift at about 5k rpms. Now I have pretty much everything fixed on it. It still shifts too low, but I fix that by manually shifting it.

Anyway, today gave me reason to think that it is a very strong running car for 135k miles. It is still completely stock down to a paper air filter btw. Our road comes off of a non-interstate 4 lane highway and goes straight between big fields for probably half a mile. There is a sign a little ways down it that I like to turn off of the main road and on to ours and see what mph I can get as I go past. It is very consistent too since I have to come around the corner at about the exact same mph every time. As you can see in my sig. I also have a '00 WS6. It has 26k miles, is basically full bolt ons, and has a very good tune. Last time to the track I got 107.6mph I believe with it. It gets about exactly 97mph every time as I go by the sign on our road. Today I came home from purdue and I decided that since I felt more comfortable with the camaro I would see what it could do going running it to that sign like I normally do. So I downshift it and slow down and come around the corner and step on it. I thought it felt good, but I didn't know how good that was. I went by the sign and I was going 91-92. I was surprised. Only 5-6mph slower than my WS6. As I was cruising down the road towards our house I remembered something. I figured out with my dad that the camaro's speedometer is off by about 2-3mph at 65. Then I was really surprised. That means being conservative and only adding that 2-3 to it (it should actually be more at 90 right?) i got up to about 93-94 or so with it. So if it is slower by 3-4mph at ~97 for my other one then I would think it would be maybe 5-6mph at the track where my other one is at 107, so I would be running right around 100mph at the track with it? Does that sounds reasonable for a '93 with 135k miles on it? I really believe after that that it can run that, but I don't know if that can't possibly be right or not. What do you think?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

They both have stock 3:23 gears and no aftermarket torque converter too just fyi.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this post is a joke??? Go to the track if you think you have a "freak" and post up some 105mph traps.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

No this isn't a joke post o_O. lol. I don't want to know if it's a freak, just if it's just running really strong still for 135k miles. Thats all. I know it isn't a freak, and even if it used to be it is too lod with too many miles to more than just one that still runs strong for its age. I didn't say 105 either, I said 100. My WS6 runs a 107. I don't know exactly what stock '93s run anyway, but my guess is some of them could break 100 right?

This car cost me a whole $2000 too . haha
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
No this isn't a joke post o_O. lol. I don't want to know if it's a freak, just if it's just running really strong still for 135k miles. Thats all. I know it isn't a freak, and even if it used to be it is too lod with too many miles to more than just one that still runs strong for its age. I didn't say 105 either, I said 100. My WS6 runs a 107. I don't know exactly what stock '93s run anyway, but my guess is some of them could break 100 right?

This car cost me a whole $2000 too . haha
Seems about normal! Most LT1s arent as slow as the LS1 crowd makes them out to be . My 93 with 140k on the clock ran 13.9x@101 with just an ebay cai and flowmaster muffler. Even flowmaster claims only ~3hp out of their muffler only, and I'm sure the ebay short ram wasnt helping much either.

Bit of a crude way of testing, but it sounds right on par with a LT1 that doesnt need a tune-up

BTW awesome deal, 2k is a steal.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

I mean my car has kept up with alot of ls1's around here. When I had longtubes on it I was running down my dad in his 65 cobra (that didnt go over well). I havent taken it to the dragstrip but the previous owner did with a crappy flowmaster and cai and ran a 13.6 on street tires.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks guys . I'll admit, it wasn't in the greatest shape when I got it, but a lot has been fixed and I'm still in the process of fixing some smaller things. As of right now it is actually pretty nice. The paint isn't really good, and the back bumper has a couple cracks, but I don't mind that too much. I'm more interested in the mechanical stuff.

I agree it is a crude way of testing, but it seems to be very consistent so far. I'm hoping that that test shows that it will still run pretty strong. I'm going to try to get to the track whenever my car club goes to the track next. We'll see how it goes...
Old 09-01-2007, 12:48 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1_man
I mean my car has kept up with alot of ls1's around here. When I had longtubes on it I was running down my dad in his 65 cobra (that didnt go over well). I havent taken it to the dragstrip but the previous owner did with a crappy flowmaster and cai and ran a 13.6 on street tires.
Your avatar makes me dizzy...

Quick Reply: So do I have a strong running LT1 or am I imagining things?