LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Improving Air Flow to K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Improving Air Flow to K&N CAI

While fixing a poorly connected upper hose to the radiator, I had to take the CAI snout off and I noticed that while it's better than the stock intake, it seems that there has to be a better way to get more air in there in it's fender well/front end area (this is on a 94 Z28). Has anybody else tried experimenting with removing a panel or so to get more in there? I'm in Arizona, so there's not much rain to speak of and I don't travel on dirt roads.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by azmarkus
While fixing a poorly connected upper hose to the radiator, I had to take the CAI snout off and I noticed that while it's better than the stock intake, it seems that there has to be a better way to get more air in there in it's fender well/front end area (this is on a 94 Z28). Has anybody else tried experimenting with removing a panel or so to get more in there? I'm in Arizona, so there's not much rain to speak of and I don't travel on dirt roads.
Cut off the bottom of the splashguard and put a heatshield above it. IATs will go down to just about ambient, but the filter will get dirty much quicker.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the same thing, merely cuz i tore it up a little when i was messin with the air dam. Didnt really notice a seat of the pants feeling, but i dont see any reason why i wouldnt help.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Cut off the bottom of the splashguard and put a heatshield above it. IATs will go down to just about ambient, but the filter will get dirty much quicker.
heh Ever read the K&N cleaning instructions? It recommends leaving it dirty. heh

Quick Reply: Improving Air Flow to K&N CAI