LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Have any of you ever had an EGR valve go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have any of you ever had an EGR valve go bad?

My SES light came on so I got it checked and it said EGR malfunction so I just deleted it. But about a week later it popped back up again. So I decided I'll check it out and I looked and all the hoses are hooked up correctly and tight, so now Im guessing it must be the EGR valve itself. Has it ever gone bad on any of you all?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

The question is how does it run? We used to have vacuum pumps to hook on them to see if the diafram inside was o.k. If it's bad then typically you should notice it not running just right.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine went bad. Carbon usually builds up in them.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

mine crapped out a while back, they can get gunked up pretty bad and its not too bad to replace
Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Launching!

How do you know if they are going bad?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

put a hand help vaccum pump on the valve, give it some vacuum with the car running, if the engine sputters and stalls, the valve is good. If you give it vaccum and it does nothing to the engine it is clogged, or if it does nothing and the diaphram does not hold a vacuum then the valve/diaphram part needs to be replaced. the code might be for the solenoid too, it all depends on what the code is. if you hook up you vac gauge to the line coming from the solenoid to the valve and you do a brake stand in drive you should see a vacuum reading, most cars don't open the valve without a load. also check for a obvious exhaust leak first on the EGR tube. do you remember the exact code?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

I cant remember the exact code so I think Im gonna go back to autozone and then look it up. I need to go check the tube again for signs of rips or breaks in it. Ill most likely just go buy a new valve I dont think it should be too bad just a lil bit of a pain to install considering its right on the back of the intake manifold.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine was bad when I bought my car. After some searching on CamaroZ28.com I came to find out it is notorious on the 96-97 ODBII cars. And since you have a '97 LT1, that's most likely it. I also remember reading something about a recall.

So I purchased a new one for about $75 at O'Reilly's, fairly easy to change. There is just two nuts holding it on. SES never came back. Just be careful not to break the plastic vacuum lines when you're changing it.
Attached Thumbnails Have any of you ever had an EGR valve go bad?-egr_service.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

I was told I could use carburators cleaner and that might help clean up all the carbon buildup? I think the valve is probably just trashed but I guess it is worth a try.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried that first. I soaked it in carb cleaner and used compressed air. Didn't work for me. I guess you could try, but I was unsuccessful.

It's just probably going to need replaced. If you're trying to save every buck you can, you can probably find a used one for sale on this site, with all the people deleting AIR and EGR. But there are two types so make sure it's the right one if you do that.

Quick Reply: Have any of you ever had an EGR valve go bad?