LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

3 questions i need answers for pls.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions i need answers for pls.

1st question:

1995 Camaro had "Vented Opti" what exactly does that mean? Does it mean i can pressure wash my engine without worrying about my opti getting fucked?

2nd question:

I'm going to go with the LT4 hot cam kit, do i need to replace my oem chain? I know the LT4 timing chain is more beefier.

3rd question:

Since i'll be going with the hot cam kit, i'll also swap my lifters (lazy lifter)
I ordered some LS7 lifters. Do i need to get smaller or bigger pushrods?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

i'll answer ?#2... if your timing chain is old with a lot of miles or you find a lot of slack in it then it would be good to replace it when doing a cam swap, otherwise you'd be fine with the chain that you have. when replacing a chain the stock replacement chain will be just fine for your application
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

dont spray directly into your opti. it woulnt "kill" it but PROBABLY woulnt run right for a lil bit
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
1st question:

1995 Camaro had "Vented Opti" what exactly does that mean? Does it mean i can pressure wash my engine without worrying about my opti getting ****ed?

2nd question:

I'm going to go with the LT4 hot cam kit, do i need to replace my oem chain? I know the LT4 timing chain is more beefier.

3rd question:

Since i'll be going with the hot cam kit, i'll also swap my lifters (lazy lifter)
I ordered some LS7 lifters. Do i need to get smaller or bigger pushrods?

Thanks.
1. Basically the vented opti just had a vent hose that goes up the the stock intake elbow. Vented or not, just make sure not to DIRECTLY wet your opti and you should be fine.

2. If you going to have it torn apart, replace it. My motto is do it right the first time.

3. You should be fine with your stock pushrods. I think the LS7 lifters are the same specs as the stock ones. But I don't know for sure.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

2. Replace the timing chain with a stock GM LT1 chain that will be fine. Changing to an LT4 requires the purchase of all new sprockets too.

3. Same size pushrods, I would recommend getting hardened ones however.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

1 no
2 would be a good thing and time
3 no
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

#3 You need to check for proper valvtrain geometry when changing the lifters. I think there is a variance from LS7 from LT1 lifters. I think you will need a different pushrod.

You must get an adjustable pushrod and check springs to do this.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97LT1
#3 You need to check for proper valvtrain geometry when changing the lifters. I think there is a variance from LS7 from LT1 lifters. I think you will need a different pushrod.

You must get an adjustable pushrod and check springs to do this.
are you serious?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

we swiched the ls2 to the ls7's in our ls2 and used the same push rods so the geometry is the same, but now if you swiched to a cam w a smaller base circle the the push rod would need to be longer
Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
2. Replace the timing chain with a stock GM LT1 chain that will be fine. Changing to an LT4 requires the purchase of all new sprockets too.

3. Same size pushrods, I would recommend getting hardened ones however.
you have to replace a timing set as a set everytime or the uneven unequall ware will just tear up everything. yes you can do it, but its just like the chain and sprockt on a street bike and dirt bike it all has to be changed as a set
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Launching!

#1 yes, vented opti is called vented because of the extra vacuum hose that runs to the air breather, you can wash any engine with an opti, as they said just try not to spray direct pressure on it, especially if it is old, the caps tend to warp slightly and like to let moisture in them.
#2 Yes you need to replace the timing chain, only for peace of mind/insurance reasons, the lt4 timing set (note i said set, yes you do not want to replace just the chain, replace it as a 3 piece set) is a direct replacement and will bolt up without any modification.
#3 your factory length and size pushrods will work with those lifters, but I agree I would get a new set, gm performance parts sells a set of hardened pushrods for the lt1/lt4 that is very inexpensive.
hope the info helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by socal
you have to replace a timing set as a set everytime or the uneven unequall ware will just tear up everything. yes you can do it, but its just like the chain and sprockt on a street bike and dirt bike it all has to be changed as a set
I just bought the chain since the sprockets only had 9,000 miles on them and all works well but yeah makes sense with the bike analogy.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great info, thank you all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 questions i need answers for pls.