LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle adjustment after cam swap - again

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle adjustment after cam swap - again

OK, I know this has been beat to death, but being new to computer controlled tuning I was looking for some help on selecting the best method to set up my idle after a cam swap. I just installed a LT4 Hot Cam Kit upgrade in my DD 1994 Z28 w/A4 transmission. It's a mild upgrade as I need to keep it emission legal. The cam is 218/228 @.50 with LS of 112, the kit also included 1.6 RR and new valve springs. I have seem multiple ways to do this across various forums, tips, etc. I was planning on using TunerCat to up my Idle speed in drive from the 550 stock setting to something higher ?? and then tweak the TPS% at zero timing table a few degrees to smooth it out. Then check my MAP and adjust the low BLM Cell MAP boundary a little above the MAP at idle. After that, while monitoring knock, add a few degrees advance across the main and extended timing tables. I have also read about opening the TPS% 2-3 degrees with the setscrew then resetting the PCM TPS calibration to back to zero to help the IAC control the idle. Since this is OBD1 I do not have IAC volume to look at just IAC counts. Any thoughts out there ??
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

With the hotcam I doubt you even have to mess with timing to make it idle good. Just bump up the idle a little to like 800. Also shouldn't be any need to adjust the throttle screw.

You seem to be on the right track.

Last edited by infinitebird; 02-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Idle adjustment after cam swap - again