LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel tank swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Default fuel tank swap

Has anyone swapped in the later LS1 fuel tank into an LT1 F body? As I understand it, the LT1 is steel and the LS1 is plastic resulting in an 8 pound savings. What issues might there be with wiring harnesses/plugs and fuel lines?

My next upgrade is a 12 bolt rear and I'd like do this swap as well as the upgrade to the Racetronix fuel pump & wiring stuff while the rear is out.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of doing this since we have no baffles keeping the gas centered.

i would think you would need an LS1 fuel pump and delete your regulator at the fuel rail since their reg is in tank or on the pump. the wiring should be the same. and the evap/return lines are different.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm kinda hopeing somebody here has already done or tried this.

I just looked at images of the LT1 and LS1 sending units at Rock Auto. They're way different! I'm wondering if the LT1 unit will go into the bung hole in the LS1 tank.

Guess I'll be the first to try it?

I'll get a LS1 tank and a LT1 sending unit and see if it'll all match up or if I can "make it work." If it won't work, I'll just put the tank in the for sale section.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ls1 tank holds 2 more gallons i believe, id be interested
Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been discussed a lot in the fuel section of this board.

First the LT1 tank has a baffle in it, the LS1 does not. This is why the LS1 uses a bucket.... because of no baffles & has a poor location in the tank.

The only benefit of plastic is:
No rust, a small amount of weight savings & possibly more capacity.... but capacity & weight are offsetting each other.

Your gauge will not function properly & you have to modify your lines to use the newer tank. For dragracing, I prefer the steel setup as it provides better pump location.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Lonnie,

Excellent. Excellent. A experienced, been there-done that answer. Thanks. I’ll forget about doing the swap, there’s no advantage.

Nice website offerings. I’ll be calling on you guys.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me know if I can help you out. I can set you up with just about anything you need for your fuel system.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
First the LT1 tank has a baffle in it, the LS1 does not. This is why the LS1 uses a bucket.... because of no baffles & has a poor location in the tank.
The LT1 tank not only has baffles, but the fuel pump is also mounted inside a sealed fuel bucket. The whole assembly sits inside a plastic tray of sorts with tall edges that keeps the fuel sock submerged all the time. The design pretty much guarantees fuel supply regardless of how violently gas gets sloshed around inside. Heck you could almost start these cars upside down, but fuel supply would be the least of your worries then !!

Quick Reply: fuel tank swap