LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Still getting Smoke at Higher RPMS and Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still getting Smoke at Higher RPMS and Full Throttle

Ok I posted about this awhile ago and I have been trying to find a reason why... I thought I had found 2 possibles today and had posted about one.

At first I thought it might be the intake manifold gaskets so I had bought a new set but after feeling around the IM's back and finding some very faint oil and then looking I saw nothing... so I proceeded to go forward with removing the IM, got the TB off and saw oil in the IM and under the TB mounting on the lip of the Manifold... but again no oil around the seals etc...

So I looked around and found a line from the TB to the Passenger VC with no PCV in it and thought it was coming from there. I proceeded to put in a summit cap style universal and use that... I cleaned the TB and wiped inside the IM. I did not see a lot of oil in it but what seemed like a think coat around inside there from what I could see in the day light... def not how I would expect a motor with less then 3000 miles to look.

However when I took it out tonight for a spin I could not see any smoke in the dark but in the parking lot just sitting I was still putting out smoke when I reved all the way up... So I am not sure if this is left over or not...

I am just trying to find out what to really look for and it does not seem I am coming up with any good answers... so any help would really be helpful.

--Update--
Took the car out tonight after doing the extra PCV on it and sub frame connectors etc. Blew out a ton of black smoke clearing it up too lol.

Anyway I am still blowing out a cloud but its not really a lot of oil it smells like fuel... horribly like raw gas my eyes were burning as well as my nose. But I still see normal smoke... so I am not sure what to think. I am going to replace the O2's tomorrow but let me know if anyone else has any idea's. I am hoping to have the IM gasket done tomorrow too. Between the steering column and everything else I have just not been able to.

Last edited by Cross; 05-04-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple possibilities: Car has been sitting awhile and this is just it's routine cleaning of itself. When I first got my car, I don't think the guy I got it from "got on it" very often. I punched it going down the freeway and lots of carbon (blackish smoke) came out till I let off.

Also, the TB and Intake will always be dirty till you remove the PCV system (actually goes in the driver side, mid intake, not the valve cover). It's just oil fumes and it gets sucked into the intake, causing it to be dirty. Sucks, but tis just how it is :\

I'd go and smell it while it's idling and smoking. See if it smells like raw gas, or if it smells like something else. If it's gas, then possible that your O2s or IAC is are bad/going out. Otherwise it could just be a bunch of carbon build up and needs a little thrashing to work out.

Burnt oil is blue, burn coolant is white, if you didn't know. Raw fuel and carbon are the two I know of (I'm sure there's more) that cause black smoke. Might even be a bad cat, not sure. They usually cause too much back pressure and lead to a stumbling motor, and also the cat gets red hot (literally red).
Old 05-01-2008, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

Well the car did sit for a year before I bought it. But I have been driving it for over 500 miles.... and while I do not get on it much it does not seem to want to go away.

I have checked the oil and coolant no mixing and the car seems fine in that regard other then a coolant leak I fixed.

On the smoke color I def think its blue white. But the car does not smoke at idle that I can tell... however she is running rich. Rich enough I can smell gas out of the exhaust esp when i hit it. I was thinking it due to the fact the prior owner built it to LT4 specs along with the other things he did and I have just not had the ECU flashed yet as I was looking to switching out to the Comp cc503 cam and from shroties to long tubes.

Anyway I def will try to do a few of these idea's, I just want to track down the problem as I have some money to spend but I am afraid to buy anything big (I bought a holley 58mm TB today and keep kicking myself for it because I have not figured this out yet) because the worst case scenario is rings... which both the builder (Who I have been talking to quite often) and myself don't really feel is the problem...
Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well an LT4 is only bigger intake ports, and a bit better head design, and NOT a cc503 cam heh So if he/you put in a cc503 and no tune, I'd say thar be yer problemo! I'd assume he tuned it though, at least I'd hope so >_> If it was just heads and intake, I'm sure the computer could learn around that mod, but a cam throws a wrench into the gears.

If you have a scanner, or datalogger, I'd see what the O2s are reading. Cruising it should be like 650-850mV. On mine, when coming to a stop, it drops way down to the double digits, but comes back up when I'm sitting at the light. Mine are pretty new too, even though they are Bosch heh I have no smoking though, so I'm pretty sure my car is running well.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

No it has the LT4 Cam in it I want to put the cc503 in. I was saying he did not tune it to the LT4 setup and I was waiting to do so until I decided if I was going to install the cc503 or not yet. Sorry I ramble sometimes and it becomes confusing lol.

My car right now is basically a full lt4 on an lt1 ecu.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well that COULD be causing the problems. The LT4 cam is a fair amount bigger, bigger than I'd want to run on a stock PCM tune, personally. I'm sure later in the day someone who knows more about this than me, will chime in.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 AM
12 Second Club

So basically it looks like what I am seeing is not oil at all but Gas?

The only other odd thing about the car is I am losing oil but can not find any spotting... nor any oil gone when the car starts but it seems to eat oil... as in a quart a week... def not a good sign but where the hell is it going?

And thanks for the info, its just nice to have someone who has dealt with an LT to talk too... all my friends have imports or LSX motors and they just don't seem to know or care lol.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Quart a week is pretty severe. Most common spot is the rear intake seal leaking, and that may, or may not drip due to it leaking onto the trans bell housing and air pushing and thinning it out as to not drip.

It could also be a combination of oil and gas, so who knows.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:37 AM
12 Second Club

I do see slight oil around the tranny which is why I thought it might be that to begin with after talking to the prior owner. But he said I should feel a lot of oil when I put my hand back there... I found a small amount like an oil spill but that was it..
Old 05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone else that can chime in?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

My car was real bad above 5,400 rpm or so last year. I figured it was just running a bit rich. There were times where she would smoke more than a diesel truck. I ended up replacing my fuel pump towards the end of the year with a racetronix pump. I don't have anything wild done to my car, but after I swapped pumps I haven't had any issues with smoke in high rpm. It doesn't make any since to me whats so ever, but for some reason the pump cured my high rpm dark smoke issue.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, the pump replacement is a bit weird. Even if it was putting out too much fuel pressure, the regulator should've cured it I'd think. Then again if it's putting out WAY too much PSI, it might push the regulator open more. Sort of like light bulbs on their death bed, they get REEEEALLY bright, before they kick the bucket.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm.... well if I am going to replace it I guess looking at an aftermarket to save me the effort later if I ever need it is not a bad idea. But it seems my smoke is white/blue with some black at times.

One thing another gear head thought was that it could be the oil pump is too high volume if I got the wrong one and its pushing to much oil at high rpms... kinda odd but since it seems were kinda unsure thought I would throw anything out there even if its just going to be eliminated its one less thing on the list.

I am going to find out what the charge is for an upgraded fuel pump and go from there... I really hope I do not have to drop the tank but something tells me I will have to... oh yay.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

any my guess goes to Rings and Tune mostly rings by the sound of it. i'd do a comp test
Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, do a fuel pressure test, and a compression test on all cyl. I know it's a pain in the ***, seeing as you just put headers on, but it should help you get down there. I'm not sure what an LT1 should run for compression, but I remember reading a thread and it should be around 200psi. Then I think each cyl should be +/- 10psi from each other, or something like that.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Well I hope iots not rings... for a rebuilt motor with less then 3k I would be pissed... and yeah the test is going to suck but if thats what has to happen then so be it. I just want to get this damn thing done... however on the oil in the IM that still seems to be unknown.

Also on the FPR test... how should I do that?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get a fuel pressure tester, and then plug it into the shrader valve on the fuel rails, then unplug the vacuum line from the FPR (don't forget to cap off the line from the intake, so you don't get a vacuum leak). Should read 42-43 PSI, and like 39-40 PSI with the vacuum line plugged in.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valve seals are also a possibility. Mine smokes at WOT but thats it. I find it normal because the other 2 LT1's and my friend's LS1 all put out a little smoke at WOT.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM
12 Second Club

ok I will get the FPR Reader tomorrow. I would not mind so much if it was alittle... but this is not alittle... its enough to bother other drivers.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Have to wait they did not have one... but I removed my steering wheel to replace the broken plastic and the shift selector... my god I hate this already. I broke one puller and the other just popped it right off.

I am still putting off the IM pull as I do not want to pull it if there is no leak and its not the problem... just a waste of time.

Quick Reply: Still getting Smoke at Higher RPMS and Full Throttle