im in too
Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..... any updates? im a curious, curious fellow
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Nothing new. The intake we ordered comes in Thursday.(was supposed to be in Friday, thanks ups!). We're going to concentrate on the porting and machining of this more so then keeping it 'pretty' so when we post a pic dont get too discouraged. I think we have 5 different colors in mind for those who would like it painted but thats down the road.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GGPC
Nothing new. The intake we ordered comes in Thursday.(was supposed to be in Friday, thanks ups!). We're going to concentrate on the porting and machining of this more so then keeping it 'pretty' so when we post a pic dont get too discouraged. I think we have 5 different colors in mind for those who would like it painted but thats down the road.
Coooool! Powder coated black would be neat!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Subscribing!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope you try and keep it as tall as possible, I won't mind massaging my cowl towards the back of the engine.

I would also LOVE to see a Gunmetal Powder coat, if not I can easily paint it!!!!

Also, what is the issue with the fuel rails? Do the Holley rails have to be used or can the LT rails be modified to work?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrnDragon
I hope you try and keep it as tall as possible, I won't mind massaging my cowl towards the back of the engine.

I would also LOVE to see a Gunmetal Powder coat, if not I can easily paint it!!!!

Also, what is the issue with the fuel rails? Do the Holley rails have to be used or can the LT rails be modified to work?
I would like to keep the runners long as possible. I guess for those like yourself we can. The powder coating would be pretty cool, I can look into that.

I dont see why you couldnt modify your lt1 rails. The reason we mentioned the Holley rails is cause we deal with vette owners and they want everything to fit PERFECTLY! I believe its just the pluming that needs to be changed.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

While I'm happy to see a "better" intake for the LTx motor I think I may be missing something, I hope you can explain it.

By the time someone needs an aftermarket (sheetmetal) intake even $900 is a drop in the bucket. I think saving a couple hundred bucks may be insignificant... I know by the time I'm spending 700, another 200 is not a big deal at all. In many cases cutting the cowl is the least of the issues when building monster horsepower for an LTx. As a plus, a composite intake saves a chunk of weight, minimizes heat soak and virtually every modern engine uses a composite intake, be it a 4,6 or 8 cylinder. While the stealth ram is great and quite a few guys have had great success with it, I really think you're totally missing the ball by ignoring the composite idea. Even if you do nothing more than increase plenum volume to better feed the cylinders in forced induction applications while leaving the intake runner length the same I think you would be ahead of the game. It sounds like you've already got a runner length that works, I would think transferring that to the composite intake and ensuring it has enough plenum volume would be easy given that you have the rough data in front of you already. I'm oversimplifying... I know.

I'm sure anything you make that makes a reasonable improvement would be welcomed, but I believe you could really make something exceptional and modern with just a small increase in price. By the time you're talking $700+ a lot of LTx owners will write it off anyway because they are younger owners with less income.

Last edited by v7guy; 08-01-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v7guy
While I'm happy to see a "better" intake for the LTx motor I think I may be missing something, I hope you can explain it.

By the time someone needs an aftermarket (sheetmetal) intake even $900 is a drop in the bucket. I think saving a couple hundred bucks may be insignificant... I know by the time I'm spending 700, another 200 is not a big deal at all. In many cases cutting the cowl is the least of the issues when building monster horsepower for an LTx. As a plus, a composite intake saves a chunk of weight, minimizes heat soak and virtually every modern engine uses a composite intake, be it a 4,6 or 8 cylinder. While the stealth ram is great and quite a few guys have had great success with it, I really think you're totally missing the ball by ignoring the composite idea. Even if you do nothing more than increase plenum volume to better feed the cylinders in forced induction applications while leaving the intake runner length the same I think you would be ahead of the game. It sounds like you've already got a runner length that works, I would think transferring that to the composite intake and ensuring it has enough plenum volume would be easy given that you have the rough data in front of you already. I'm oversimplifying... I know.

I'm sure anything you make that makes a reasonable improvement would be welcomed, but I believe you could really make something exceptional and modern with just a small increase in price. By the time you're talking $700+ a lot of LTx owners will write it off anyway because they are younger owners with less income.

Good points here or another idea would be readily available single plane conversions. Tons of LTX guys are considering that option but most of the time it's gotta be waited on for completion.

Something like this with a composite lower like the wilson (or the typical Vic Jr aluminum option)and a converted Sulivan upper (because they look nice) would prolly make many guys happy.

Just a thought from my side of the bench.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by v7guy

The main problem with the composite intake we designed is it was a one size fits all. It was good for stock/bolt-on or a mild h/c set up. But if anybody has heads flowing more than 270cfm, this intake would be a restriction. The runners on this composite were not 8 inches like the lsx, they were 6. And because of the way the runners were, you had much less plenum volume. The plenum was like the lt1, a tunnel, not an actual plenum area.

The runners on the composite also, we didnt think, would generate the air velocity needed for great low end gains. There were also some other issues. You had to buy after market fuel rails. You had to buy a mono blade throttle body. By the time you add those up, it costs more than a cam swap, with mediocer results. The hp gains would have been 10-20 with little torque gains.

Now we could have sold a 'fluff' intake and took advantage of the fact it was plastic. Problem being when you guys would start putting them on your cars and found out the power was so-so, we would have been lumped into the 'nothing but hype' category with some of these other companies, and your out $1500. (manifold, tb, fuel rails)

Now, the HSR is a perfect platform for building power over the lt1. First, let me give you some specs on the stock lt1 intake manifold. The runners flow about 225cfm. Thats sufficient for stock heads that flow 200-205cfm. But if you buy after market or get work done by LE or AI, your intake becomes a problem. Now, will you see great gains even with a stock intake? Of course, but your not optimizing the set-ups potential. So you send your intake away to get ported. Good right, it will flow more. LP ported one out for me years ago. Ported the plenum, the works. It flowed 265cfm. Good improvement. But, since it was pratically gutted to get the flow, I lost air velocity and noticed a loss in low-mid range torque. Sure I had better top end power but look what I had to sacrafice. How often am I above 6500rpm? And even with the plenum ported, it was still nothing more than a tunnel with small stubby runners.

On to the HSR. It flows, out of the box, 275cfm naturally with no porting. Thats just part of it. The runners are longer, they will give even a stock engine great increases in usable torque. And since it flows the way it does with a shoe box for a plenum, You wont be missing out on power. But the problem with it since its inception is it doesnt fit. People have tried but Holley designed this HSR better then some think. The runners change shape from top to bottom. That increases air velocity which has the potential for tire smoking low and mid range power/torque. What we discovered was if you take even a little of the top of the runners, they start to change shape. That kills the air flow, making each runner a different shape. So there is a fine line to how much you can take off, and I think we have it.

Since we had to recess the plenum on the runners slightly, we removed bolt provisions from the inside of the plenum. That increased plenum volume even with the plenum recessed. We also removed all the needless material on the base and between the runners to make it an air gap. We welded the plenum on to the manifold cause of the absence of the provisions along with welding an extra 1/8 thick aluminum plate to the bottom of the manifold to keep the heat from the oil off the runners a little.

The engineering is there. Its just a matter of putting it in a usable application. There is no one size fits all. Every HSR will be custom made for every setup. We are pretty confident this intake will greatly increase torque and improve power over the current lt1 intake. Will it raise the power band? no, what it will do is give you more hp/trq through out the rpm band, where it really matters. When we get the prototype build and hand it off, I will be very interested to see 1/4 times and what a sh*t load of more torque can do to lower them.

For those with bigger displacement/Forced induction, The HSR can be ported out to more than 300cfm. The runners will still keep their shape and length for great air velocity and torque. We are hoping with the porting process we will use, it will allow for high rpm hp gains as well. I'm sure we wont have a shortage of test subjects for that one.

All in all, Im confident this will perform the way we think it will. If it doesnt work the first time, we will keep trying. Like I said, the engineering is there. And if its still not 'fluff' enough, we can always stamp Dolce Gabbana on it and sell it for twice as much

Last edited by GGPC; 08-01-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Let them work! They already have explained about the composite intake several times!!! They found a better road to take that not only is cheaper for them but cheaper for us and already has the numbers to prove it will work. We cant be picky when it comes to intakes, we have limited choices and most are way to extreme in price for the average LT1 owner and others just plain dont perform for the price. We will be getting something we should have had a long time ago and finally someone who knows what they are doing is making it a reality.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It really sounds like you guys know what you are doing, I am ready and waiting with $$$! Get those FI LT4 manifolds DONE!!!

Would Lingenfelter LT4 ported heads fall into the category of the AI and LE heads? Does anyone have any idea what they might flow? I bought this engine complete from SDPC about 3 years ago, so I have no numbers on head and intake flow.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 ... I would spend $900 for a composite manifold
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I personally like the HSR better than a Composite manifold, it looks more like a HIGH Dollar Sheetmetal intake versus a stock looking composite intake.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Launching!

yeah the hsr sounds ten times better
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll get some pics of a prototype this week. It may not be pretty, but its a prototype. At least it will show you the design.

Want to post some pictures?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I'd like to see what it looks like myself. One question that I have and it may sound silly but what are you all going to do about the stupid looking water crossove. I meam lets be honest, this thing needs to look like it belongs on an LTX!!!!! Not being mean but honestly, otherwise I'd put my investment into a well converted Single plane.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

this post is such a tease... where are the pictures?!?!?! hehe...
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Launching!

come on...pics...how has the testing gone....im so interested
Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

The big trick is cutting the runners down to the point where it will show hp gains up over 6500rpm for those with bigger cams and still increase low end torque over the LT1. We'll find a way.
I just started reading this thread but this point is by far the biggest factor in this. Most cars looking for a "custom" manifold spin there motors well past 6500rpms...I'll spin my up to 7k without issues

Quick Reply: New LT1 Intake Manifold update: New plan, new #s