LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Old waterpump is out, new E-wp going in, questions on opti and timing cover.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old waterpump is out, new E-wp going in, questions on opti and timing cover.

So I just pulled the old mech waterpump and I'm switching to an E-wp, couple of questions while I have it pretty much stripped to the long-block.

First, I've been having some trouble in higher rpm ranges since my last mech waterpump pooped on me and I've been suspecting the opti. It is original with about 124k on the clock, looks nasty as hell and I think it needs to be changed. Where's the cheapest AC Delco to be had? Also, I've never done a distributor before and I found these reverse tork bolts on the outside, are those the only two holding it on? Once I have it off and the new one in hand how do I get it clocked correctly?

Second, I'm going with an E-wp so I also bought a double roller timing chain since I figured I won't need the wp drive any longer. How do you get rid of the drive gear? Must you weld in a freeze plug to the timing cover after you have it out? If so, what size plug am I looking for? My car is OBDII so I have the crank or cam position sensor (? I think both?) will this be a problem with the new timing chain?

Finally a gasket question. I've found a gasket set for the LT1 that has pretty much everything I want to replace, but I'm not sure what kind of material is best for all the ones I'm replacing: Timing cover, oil pan, waterpump, and intake manifold. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys, I know I've got alot of questions, but I've been putting off this project for lack of money for about 2 years now. I hope to have it running very soon
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

id get ahold of a guy named Jason Cromer..do a search for his name, and you SHOULD get his info, that way..He's hook ya up on the price...and when installing the opti, it only goes on there one way, you cant mess it up..(keyed shaft, i think)
Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, I've just heard of more than a few people fubaring the install and I don't wanna have to trouble shoot the opti especially after all that I've already done...
Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

great questions ive got an e-wp too that id like to put in along with a new opti but been delaying it. seems like a little project to me. im guessing you'd have to get a smaller belt being as you're deleting the waterpump pulley?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

water pump pulley?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah no pulley for the pump so belt size should be the same. if you are replacing the whole opti you dont have to mess with the reverse torx screws. they hold the cap on but you can slide the base out with everything attached. also the freeze plug i got to fit best was a 5/8. i just used rtv on it instead of welding in case i wanted to go back mechanical.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

lol wow that shows i really didnt look at the waterpump but thinking about it now i now recall just seeing a cover over the front and no pulley. ha long days will do that to ya...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh, so you can slide the base out. That's good info.
Anybody know if a double roller chain is gonna interfere with the cam position sensor?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1. Get an AC Delco or Delphi opti from "thepartsladi" on ebay. I have bought from them twice (AC Delco for me $280 shipped, Delphi for a buddy $230 shipped). Their prices can be beat, products arrive in original packaging.

2. I would just leave the drive there, no hassle needed to plug the hole.

3. Felpro gaskets work great.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only reason I'm replacing the drive is b/c of the double roller timing chain. I don't believe it has a provision for the waterpump.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
The only reason I'm replacing the drive is b/c of the double roller timing chain. I don't believe it has a provision for the waterpump.
Oh, I see.

Quick Reply: Old waterpump is out, new E-wp going in, questions on opti and timing cover.