LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strange headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Strange headlight issue

OK, I searched, but haven't found anything like what I'm experiencing on any of the forums.

I'm on vacation in the Lake George NY area and we had some ridiculous rainfall. Besides a tiny bit of water making it in at the forward edge of the t tops, the headlights decided to go on and off by themselves. With the switch off and the ignition on, the headlights flipped themselves on and off. I could hear some clicking going on, sounded like a relay (although a search on this site tells me there is no headlight relay on the f bodys), in the area of the radio. Of course, once I pulled the radio out, it refused to make the noise

As the weather cleared up, I'll also assume as things dried out, the problem went away. I'm still concerned though, as I've not heard of this problem before. Usually just lights won't go up or down, not possessed like mine.

So does this sound like an issue with the headlight ECU (if that's them correct term)? I had the underhood fuse cover off a day or two before leaving for vacation, but ti doesn't look like water got in there. I think this headlight ecu thingy is in that area though- maybe water got on it?

Any help is appreciated as this is my first time taking the Formula on any real trip and it's kind of freaking me out that it's got this gremlin.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Despite what people say, there is a headlight relay of sorts. The headlight ECU that you mentioned is basically a double relay built into a little square box. It is located directly under the stock air filter. There are four screws that hold it down and two wire packs plugged into it. When my headlights started acting up, I first replaced the plastic gears inside the headlight motors because those usually cause the most headlight issues. When that didn't fix them, I replaced the relay box and that did the trick. I took my old relay box apart and it was all rusted and corroded inside. From the sound of it, the relay box is what acted up on you.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97HawkLT1
Despite what people say, there is a headlight relay of sorts. The headlight ECU that you mentioned is basically a double relay built into a little square box. It is located directly under the stock air filter. There are four screws that hold it down and two wire packs plugged into it. When my headlights started acting up, I first replaced the plastic gears inside the headlight motors because those usually cause the most headlight issues. When that didn't fix them, I replaced the relay box and that did the trick. I took my old relay box apart and it was all rusted and corroded inside. From the sound of it, the relay box is what acted up on you.
Cool- thanks. I have the Moroso CAI, so maybe the box is a little more exposed. Is the part expensive?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Here is one for sale on ebay. Not mine but at least you will know what it looks like. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-He...spagenameZWDVW
Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97HawkLT1
Here is one for sale on ebay. Not mine but at least you will know what it looks like. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-He...spagenameZWDVW
Ah, thanks man- really appreciate it