LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How can I get about 400 H.P. out of a TPI 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go carbed and nitrous, those motors respond well to nitrous. I'm sure you can find about a zillion decent heads for that motor and for cheap coin. post pics. I think its crazy that those cars are antiques now and people are restoring them. Not that they aren't worth it, just makes me feel old and weathered.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
I'm surprised no *** has come in here yet and posted "save for an LS1".

Haha yeah, This project that I'm doing is a 1985 WS6 T/A T-Tops,M5,3.42 Borg Warner Posi, 4 wheel disc,fully optioned,Original 305 TPI.

What I'm going for is to make it a GTA Trans Am replica, and I'm doin a full rotissori restoration. Every nut,bolt, and body part taken off and body completely stripped to nothing.

So far I just have the rolling chassis with full undercoating underneath the car, all new suspensiom and brakes. I'm at a stand still right now saving some money to at least get paint on it (Burgundy). This will be a show car but not a trailer queen so thats why I want to build a good TPI motor so it will also haul *** but I want to look very original too.

Last edited by 93M6Formula; 08-25-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phirepower
go carbed and nitrous, those motors respond well to nitrous. I'm sure you can find about a zillion decent heads for that motor and for cheap coin. post pics. I think its crazy that those cars are antiques now and people are restoring them. Not that they aren't worth it, just makes me feel old and weathered.

Yeah Im doing a full body resto on it ( show quality ) but I want some power to back up the cosmetics I will post pics asap, so far I have just the rolling chassis with undercoating and an entire new suspension front/rear and new brake system.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd convert to a 91-92 GTA. They looked the best out of all the 3rd Gens. And they had the 350 TPI
Old 08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

tpis makes amazing stuff talk to them on the phone and get some advice from the pros. had a set up from them on stock inernals and heads in a full size blazer with a plow and it would smoke lightings and roast all 4 tires.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

you asked about building a TPI to 400 hp but ditching the long runner intake takes away the only thing that makes it a TPI, otherwise its just a fuel injectd small block, you'll miss the grunt of that LR setup too. TPIS and others sell a number of parts to retain the TPI look while getting enough airflow to nail your goal. couple a vortec base with vortec heads (from what i hear they respond well to bowl work and minor reshaping but not necessarily a full porting. plus they're so cheap they will help offset some of the cost of the induction), bump compression up a point (not sure how vortec head combustion chambers compare to stock TPI), and get a cam suitable for your engine's specs and operating range. 400 isn't a scary number and doesn't require crazy race induction setups to achieve. a mostly stock appearing engine bay while making that number is even more of a bragging right.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YodiBrodi
you asked about building a TPI to 400 hp but ditching the long runner intake takes away the only thing that makes it a TPI, otherwise its just a fuel injectd small block, you'll miss the grunt of that LR setup too. TPIS and others sell a number of parts to retain the TPI look while getting enough airflow to nail your goal. couple a vortec base with vortec heads (from what i hear they respond well to bowl work and minor reshaping but not necessarily a full porting. plus they're so cheap they will help offset some of the cost of the induction), bump compression up a point (not sure how vortec head combustion chambers compare to stock TPI), and get a cam suitable for your engine's specs and operating range. 400 isn't a scary number and doesn't require crazy race induction setups to achieve. a mostly stock appearing engine bay while making that number is even more of a bragging right.
This is true. thats why I was just going to port the intake, runners, and plennum, that should help out a lot or also as you said, I was actually considering the Vortec manifold base and vortect heads a while back.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

of the TPI setup the only factory part i would keep would be the plenum, ported of course to match the flow capability of the base manifold. the factory runners are pretty small, would upgrade rather than port. looking at as cast flow numbers vortec heads actually flow more than untouched LS1 heads and have modern combustion chamber design on an old-school head. they have drawbacks but folks have done impressive things with them.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

so how the hell do you tune a tpi? i hear its hard. i want a big motor with nice heads,cam and intake. but how do i get it tuned?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the stock tune and upped the Volumetric Efficiency Then again, I ddi the same thing on this LT1 heh It helps if you've allowed the motor the breathe better, and depending on how well it does, you can up the VE higher (but not too high mind you). I actually based my increase slightly on what Desktop Dyno's results were from a closely built TPI motor with more opened exhaust and more intake CFM. I don't know how to tune, and don't pretend to, but just changing the VE actually made a noticeable difference. Huge no, but noticeable, and since I didn't pay for the PROM to get burned (short of shipping and the price of the PROM, a whole $5), it was worth my time. If I knew more, I'd be able to tune better. All a learning experience.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
your motor is just like your relationship,"if you don't have good head it ain't gonna work!"
best think ive heard lol its goin in my sig
Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

so from what i gather you need a good company to burn you a chip for your needs? and what company can do this for me?

Quick Reply: How can I get about 400 H.P. out of a TPI 350