LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Goodbye Opti! LT1 runs w/ coil packs and LS1 PCM.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Typhoon or Cyclone..

Both are AWD, right?
Yes, both are AWD.

Typhoon - Jimmy/Blazer body, 4x4 frame
Syclone - S10/Sonoma body, 4x4 frame
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so thats 300+ Awhp not Rwhp?

I bet thats a fun truck!

keep up the good work guys, not many people help us LT1 guys out any more. it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Yes, both are AWD.

Typhoon - Jimmy/Blazer body, 4x4 frame
Syclone - S10/Sonoma body, 4x4 frame
I was unsure of the spelling..lol

That should be a nasty little sleeper.. a friend of mine had one.. factory stock but it was still nasty.

I was thinking of one to swap my setup into if I wreck the Car, but I think I'll scatter the Drivetrain.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zigroid
so thats 300+ Awhp not Rwhp?
311 rear wheel horsepower. The front driveshaft was out for the dyno.

keep up the good work guys, not many people help us LT1 guys out any more. it is greatly appreciated.
We're enthusiasts, too!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another good thing about the LS1 PCM (99-up) is that it utilizes the provisions to program a 4L80E using the pcm. Us LT1 guys have to buy a $700 TCI control box to function our electronic 4L80E.

I have a Delteq setup using the coilpacks from the GM northstar (standard Delteq coil packs) I figured it would be easier to setup an LS1 pcm on a setup like mine??
Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope it works but the LTCC works just fine. On year 2 here and no issues.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

what are the major advantages besides the tuning capabilities?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

I Seen Something About This In A Magazine Awhile Back. I Wondering How It Shall Work With A Cam And Tuned
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalLt4
what are the major advantages besides the tuning capabilities?
From what I read in the thread, they just are better due to how the programming is. It you stick it on a stock car, you'll even notice a difference with how it drives.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I'm going to have to read the whole thread before I pass judgement.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a question, for those of us that are OBD1 and don't have the crank sensor ready timing cover and already have a double roller timing set, and really dont want to revert back to a single row timing set, would it be possible to make a MSD crank trigger setup give the same reading as a crank sensor? I'm sure it'd have to be modified somehow but I'd rather use a modded version than change the aforementioned items. Sorry for the initial run-on sentence, lol! Would there be another way to get the signal?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Here's a question, for those of us that are OBD1 and don't have the crank sensor ready timing cover and already have a double roller timing set, and really dont want to revert back to a single row timing set, would it be possible to make a MSD crank trigger setup give the same reading as a crank sensor? I'm sure it'd have to be modified somehow but I'd rather use a modded version than change the aforementioned items. Sorry for the initial run-on sentence, lol! Would there be another way to get the signal?
If you read the original thread, you'd have your answer lol

But since you're lazy and don't want to read

MSD:

LSx (36-1 I believe):

So, unless I missed something in all my own readings; No you can't.

Just fab something to bolt the trigger to the outside of your timing cover, like on the front of the dampener and then fab a brackets to reach out and pick it up.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Ok, read the whole thread. They say how you would technically need to do it, but not how they did. I'm sure it's all proprietary. For the price though it would be hard to beat. It just seems like an absolute wiring and tuning nightmare.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Ok, read the whole thread. They say how you would technically need to do it, but not how they did. I'm sure it's all proprietary. For the price though it would be hard to beat. It just seems like an absolute wiring and tuning nightmare.
Wiring would be the easy part heh, so would fabing anything that needs to be fabbed. Tuning would be the trickier part for me and would have to be sent to someone who already did one :\
Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Formula350
Wiring would be the easy part heh, so would fabing anything that needs to be fabbed. Tuning would be the trickier part for me and would have to be sent to someone who already did one :\
I talked with my friend who owns the shop my cars are at and one of our sponsors: https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=66972

He said he had this idea last year. Before I even told him how to do it he explained the whole thing to me. He said he was going to do it with a customers car, but he didn't want to have something overly complex that people wouldn't understand. We're probably going to do it on my 93. I'm going to a junkyard tomorrow and I need to get some random opti / water pump parts any ways so it shouldn't be too much extra work to get a 95+ timing cover.

We'll use a stock LS1 reluctor wheel and make a plate adapter to bolt onto the crank snout. Mount the crank sensor and change the injector and ignition wires for the different firing order. After talking to him it shouldn't be that hard at all.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
Why would you need a vented opti, when you're ditching the opti? Wouldn't even need the timing cover unless you wanted to have it more integrated. You can easily fab a reluctor wheel and bolt it to the hub and fab a bracket for the sensor. That's what Brian Esser did when he used the Ford EDIS system on his LT1.

(Huge write up on the Ford EDIS http://projectlt10.com/edis.html)
That's my site.

Now about this system...

I didn't read the article. But, whats so special about this? There have already been EDIS units converted to running Coil on Plug. Though they used aftermarket ECM's. A MS ECM +EDIS8 setup would still be better for the manual guys and way more tunable. If it's the argument of sequential vs batch fire, unless you are using sequential for emissions or idle quality there is nothing to be gained once you climb up the tach.

This seems like an option for A4 guys only.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I know it's your site I book marked it for all that info, since I'd like to do that some day.

I guess the question is how much would an aftermarket setup cost, vs this conversion. Then that'll be the main answer for people running it. What's special though, isn't really a Q I can answer heh
Old 09-25-2008, 07:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I could see the main benefit being cost and easability of tuning. With the mast majority of shops out there doing LSx tuning they'd already have the software and be familiar with it. I don't know of any shops around here that tune MS, but I know 3 that use EFI Live and 2 with HP Tuners.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Well I was getting ready to get a tune on mine and asking my mechanic some questions , he told me I would benifit from a tune but theres only so much you can do to an LT1 PCM . I told him about this thread , he said he had read about it and that it was a KA idea quote " ls1 pcm are way better and faster , an 01 ls1 pcm is better than a 99 ls1 pcm etc " the newer the better said the mech . I'm going to wait and save my money for this set up even though I have all stock internals and full bolt-ons with A4 . Future le2 h/c , 3600 Yank stall , and I'm waiting on the Holley HSR intake from GGPC .
Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

SO FAR, I'm seeing.....

PRO's :
- !opti, hello coil per cylinder
- works with 4L80E
- Tuning (better existing software and alot more places that will help you with tuning)
- 8000 RPM rev limit

CON's :
- Doing it.... wiring, sensor adaptation, fitments
- Initial tune (who's gonna get an initial LT1 tune setup on the LS pcm)
- Price (dont really know about this but, what would it cost from start to finish?)

Am I missing anything? What, if anything, would you LOSE by going with an LS pcm swap??? Also, doesn't LS PCM take sensor readings differently (faster)? I would kind of wonder if you would get better performance, drivability, and even better gas milage from such a difference???? Not talking night and day differences but, still a step up. Hell, just the ability to be tuned and monitored with software that has more abundant support would sell a "KIT" like this to me. I've spent quite a bit to go with Delteq, LT1edit, and AutoTap over the years... Doubt I'm the only one.

Last edited by hyperzone; 09-27-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added a pro

Quick Reply: Goodbye Opti! LT1 runs w/ coil packs and LS1 PCM.