LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Goodbye Opti! LT1 runs w/ coil packs and LS1 PCM.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you pretty much nailed it, hyper. As far as it reading sensors faster, no idea. Don't see how that would make any difference. A sensor, to my knowledge, is just putting out continual information. How the PCM reads it is up to the designers. Again, this is just an educated guess.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I was mainly wondering if the LS PCM can interpret the sensor data faster. If so, I would wonder if it would monitor and adjust the fueling and timing faster than the stock LT1 PCM... getting more accurate adjustments would keep you closer to peak efficiency in closed loop, no? Maybe it's just some wishful thinking... I dont know.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DOnt you also get an 8000 rpm redline? Also dont some Lsx based tuners have the ability to datalog built in?

So what is the projected cost for this setup? Will the LT1 gauges still function properly?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
DOnt you also get an 8000 rpm redline?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
DOnt you also get an 8000 rpm redline? Also dont some Lsx based tuners have the ability to datalog built in?

So what is the projected cost for this setup? Will the LT1 gauges still function properly?
Forgot about the RPM window, and no stall wall (which yes, can be programmed out thanks to some of the greats).

I don't honestly know about gauges, but I think so for the PCM equipped cars. I can't see any reason why they'd go through the trouble and expenses of making new gauge clusters.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Subscribed!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK so the only bonus is I get to keep my Speedo over an after market EFI?

Great idea. Having tuned many LSx's I might pass for a XFI
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
OK so the only bonus is I get to keep my Speedo over an after market EFI?

Great idea. Having tuned many LSx's I might pass for a XFI
This isn't exactly a mod for the heavy hitters like yourself.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Here's an update on this project.

We have a prototype CNC reluctor, but discovered (due to the double roller clearance) that the LT1 timing cover comes in contact with the reluctor.

An LT1, double roller chain, and any crank reluctor (96-97 LT1 4x reluctor or EFI Connection's 24x reluctor) is impossible. Here is why...

The back side of the pictured drawing just clears the double roller timing chain. To clear the LT1 timing cover we would have to remove more material from the front of the reluctor. As-is, there is only 0.040" to work with. There is not enough material available to take away to clear the LT1 timing cover. We have modified our design and will make another reluctor to test with on the LT1.

We will be building conversion harnesses for LT1 equipped cars to use the LS1 PCM.

To keep up with the latest progress, please email me at mike@eficonnection.com and you'll be added to the mailing list.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

SWEET!

So, a single roller will fit just fine though? I don't see why that's such a bad thing. Sure, it's not as strong, but it makes it possible!

Thanks for the update
Old 11-14-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool. Still watching this thing. Are you going to be making these on a mass scale or only when ordered? What kind of price tag is something like this going to have?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10Wildside

We will be building conversion harnesses for LT1 equipped cars to use the LS1 PCM.

To keep up with the latest progress, please email me at mike@eficonnection.com and you'll be added to the mailing list.
Originally Posted by hyperzone
cool. Still watching this thing. Are you going to be making these on a mass scale or only when ordered? What kind of price tag is something like this going to have?
MORE INFO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Email sent!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is just speculation, but I'd figure the harness wouldn't be all that special vs a standard LT1s. You'd just have to remove and maybe switch a few things to make it compatible. Now, the reluctor wheel and tune+PCM would be what would cost a little, assuming you buy the coils locally. The wheel I'd figure simply due to R&D costs and then machining time. The tune also due to R&D and then just general cost of what your avg mail order tune costs, and simply cost of PCM, unless you have to provide one of your own. Which would be something like $65-90 for a used PCM. And on that note, I think it's made on a per-order basis. I really would love this to be in the $250 range, but I can't see that happening lol While my car wouldn't really benefit from this at ALL, I'd love to be able to ditch the Opti completely just so I NEVER have to worry about it!

That just gave me an idea too, which I'll PM you S10. It's this: Since the Opti won't be there, and there's not enough room with a dual-roller for the wheel... Why not make it so the wheel mounts where the Opti WAS?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

well because the cam speed versus crank speed
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
well because the cam speed versus crank speed
Well yea, I mentioned that to him as well, it was require a re-sizing of the wheel. Hopefully it wouldn't have to be too small to 'read' though heh
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
So, a single roller will fit just fine though?
A single roller will fit just fine.

Are you going to be making these on a mass scale or only when ordered? What kind of price tag is something like this going to have?
Pricing all depends on the pieces you need. There are a lot of DIYers out there who may find the price of a "kit" unattractive. We expect to keep inventory of the 24x reluctors and crank sensors. We're going to try to keep up with the harnesses, but for the most part harness work will have a short lead time.

I'd figure the harness wouldn't be all that special vs a standard LT1s. You'd just have to remove and maybe switch a few things to make it compatible.
It's a big job to rework the original LT1 engine harness. We're going to leave that to the DIYers.

The (24x) wheel I'd figure simply due to R&D costs and then machining time.
You're right; this will not be a $50 part.

Since the Opti won't be there, and there's not enough room with a dual-roller for the wheel... Why not make it so the wheel mounts where the Opti WAS?
We're mounting the cam sensor components there. It requires a new housing (to replace the optispark) that holds the cam sensor and gets a signal from a custom target mounted on the cam sprocket. Pictures and additional details will be available when this is ready.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 11-15-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

S10Wildside : You mentioned people possibly not liking the kit price so pricing depends on what parts you need. Do you INTEND to provide a "complete kit"? Or, are you just saying its not cost effective and it'd be easier/cheaper for everybody if you only fab-up and provide the neccessary CUSTOM pieces leaving us a simple parts list to go gather up?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

S10Wildside : You mentioned people possibly not liking the kit price so pricing depends on what parts you need. Do you INTEND to provide a "complete kit"? Or, are you just saying its not cost effective and it'd be easier/cheaper for everybody if you only fab-up and provide the neccessary CUSTOM pieces leaving us a simple parts list to go gather up?
A kit will be available. It will probably be early 2009 before the cam sensor housings will be available, so the early small block engines will be doing this conversion before the LT1 engines.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Just give me a complete cost I am in don't care what it takes.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Arrow

Thank you Mike at EFI connection (mike@eficonnection.com) for the e-mail of all the progress on this. I would highly recommend anyone interested in this get on the mailing list and read through their progress. It really cleared up all my questions of parts that will be changed and how its going. Obviously, a price is not really mentioned but cant blame them.... Hard to put a price on something thats still being developed.

One thing I didn't notice being mentioned was getting an initial tune for the LT1 motor on the LS PCM. Curious, Is that a big deal to generate or a couple simple tweaks to the typical LS programming? I would think that offering baseline (safe) tunes for your GEN I and GEN II (LT1) would be easy and benificial since your obviously already going to have a tune for your own prototype engine(s) for testing.

Last edited by hyperzone; 11-16-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye Opti! LT1 runs w/ coil packs and LS1 PCM.