LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do I fix code p0441-- Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally did this during my spring break. I had already replaced the charcoal canister, and nothing. Replaced the evap purge solenoid, and that valve thing that goes to it (can be seen in the picture from shbox.com) and shoot and blew out all the carbon bits (good bunch came out). Drove for several miles, and light went away.

YeePee!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is a little old, but I came across it searching for help with code P0441.

This post had me rolling!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!

Originally Posted by wrd1972
True story,
The plastic tube on my engine that draws fuel vapor from the EVAP cannister was stopped up solid with charcoal chunks, so I need a way to clean it out.

I tried soaking it in gas and cleaners, I also tried bending it but nothing worked. Finaly I broke it up just enough so that air or fluid could barely get through.

I then filled a cup with some purple power and sucked it up through the tube as if it were a straw with the hope that this would help to break up the clog.

So guess what. I assumed that purple power was just a harmless cleaner until I got it in my mouth then OMG. Mouth was totally on fire like SOB and I spit the **** out all over the place in the kitchen. I have siphoned gas tanks and gas tastes like Koolaid compared to purple power cleaner. So since I did not learn my lesson and since the pain and discomfort was not enough I did it a second time.

I cant believe I am telling you guys this.
About 15 minutes later after the pain had subsided a bit I noticed that my lips were getting bigger. I then looked like JJ Walker from "Good Times" in th 70's for a few hours and it also messed up my speech with a major lisp. My wife absolutely could not believe what I did and dropped dead laughing at my new appearance and accent. Dyn-o-mite.

The bottom line is I finally got the plastic tube cleaned out but if I had to do it again I would just buy a replacement no matter what the cost. So the moral of the story, if you ever find some purple power in your mouth , spit don't swallow. Sorry, no video or pics to show.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:57 AM

whatto do on dodge stratus
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dubga
I know this thread is a little old, but I came across it searching for help with code P0441.

This post had me rolling!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!
Yeah I remember that. LOL But it can be topped.

Back in 2000 a dip-**** on an off-board 4x4 board was Herculining his rocker panels while obviously being naked. FTR, "Herc" is sticky and nasty and nearly impossible to wash off.

He then posted a thread wanting to know what to do because he got herc on his hootus, which could likely only be two things.

Here is the link to that very epic funny thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18595
Old 08-02-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

I sure could use some pics od this guys! The guy who had the car before me must have taken all this stuff out so I had to buy all new stuff. I got a canister, the valve that is by it, the purge valve and all but I need to know where the lines are and where to run them now. A simple sketch would have me on my knees with relief! I see a tube the just stops under the car between the rear seats and fuel tank but is that suppose to be like that or does a line to the canister come off that?. I cannot believe I have looked at all the diagrams and have evrythin open to look at here and still am clueless!
SO, where does the lines coming out of the canister go to? The ones coming out the top of the fuel tank seem to be all correct but there is 2 that seem to be back a bit and for venting purposes but which goes where? I am getting the dang codes and have since I bought it but being in Cali they are making me go to a "real" place this year so I cnt buy my way out of it this time. Need some help fellas!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Teching In

I found this thread today while researching the code. According to SHbox's page on 96-97's I found charcoal particles in numbers 7, 14 & 11. I cleaned out 11 & 14 then replaced 7. Code is gone. Also replaced #5 with a 90 degree spark plug boot.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had this issue with my near stock 97 SLP SS for several months (P0441.) I've replaced the purge solenoid, evap line going to throttle body (cracked 90 degree elbow) (all ac delco parts.) I was still getting bits of charcoal in my evap lines under the hood as well as the P0441 code. Now I've replaced the charcoal canister as well as the emissions pressure control valve as I believe this is where the problem stems from. When the tech removed my original charcoal canister, he noted that it was dripping gasoline! I've never overfilled my gas tank since I purchased the car in April. Suspect prior owner was topping up the tank. So far, no more charcoal bits in my evap lines and no check engine light P0441. Hopefully I've fixed this issue that seems to plague 96-97 Z28's and SS's.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flame
Most common is a stuck open purge solenoid. Should be normally closed. If theres little black bits in the line then your canister is breaking up and causing the purge solenoid to get jammed open. Then you need to fix that too or it will keep happening.
100% this. You have to address the root of the problem
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I'm so glad that I've fixed this issue now. Checked my purge solenoid and zero charcoal pellets. Although engine was off and I was able to blow through it. Are these supposed to be normally open or normally closed?

*This was checked right after shutting off the engine after a full drive cycle (purge solenoid open able to blow through) idle was 100% steady. No check engine light.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Still no check engine. Found a ton of misinformation on this code and glad to finally have it fixed!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Launching!

P1441 Incorrect Purge Flow came back. Took several drive cycles to reappear. New charcoal canister, evap purge solenoid , evap pressure control valve (all AC Delco parts.) I replaced my evap purge solenoid for the second time as it failed to hold vacuum when I tested it with a vacuum pump. After doing this , I blew through the vacuum switch and more charcoal bits came out. I don't know if these are residual charcoal bits from before I replaced the charcoal canister.

I think my purge solenoid vacuum lines were reversed. Top port on purge solenoid goes to throttle body port. Bottom port on purge solenoid goes to the vacuum switch based on the diagram from SHBOX.

Question: should I use hose clamps or zip ties on the evap vacuum lines connected to the purge solenoid/vacuum switch on both ends? Seeing as how they didn't come with them from the factory I doubt it but worth a shot?
Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM
Launching!

To close this one out, I found out my purge line was reversed! No code in several years since. But I did get a new charcoal canister anyway

Quick Reply: How do I fix code p0441-- Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow