Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a flywheel holding tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a flywheel holding tool

I apologize for the repost from the Gen III list, but...
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a Kent Moore J-42386-A or equivalent flywheel holding tool I can rent for a week or so? On my Chevelle only forum we share tools from time to time through the mail - just thought I would give it a shot here.
TJR
US Air Force
Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I don't have the tool. But I just installed an LS7 clutch by myself. I set up my big 1/2" breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt, put it so the bar was jammed right near the sway bar mount on the driver's side. It helps that I have the gigantic ARP balancer bolt so the socket was completely covering the bolt and wouldn't slip off. I had no problem torquing the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just jam a big screw driver in the starter area always holds.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I just jam a big screw driver in the starter area always holds.
i did this with no problems

im not going to recommend this because there is a possibility of breaking a tooth off, but this worked perfectly for me
Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where exactly in the starter area are you guys jamming the screwdrivers, I have never had a problem with using a breaker bar until now. .. I cannot get this Arp bolt out for the life of me Im about to break down and buy the KM tool...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The starter is on the passenger side. If you are taking the clutch apart and have access to air, an impact wrech is easiest. My pressure plate and flywheel bolts would be tough to get out without an impact wrench, because I use red Loctite, yours may be Loctited also.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the flywheel to hold, with a screwdriver... and now I am going to have to deal with my crank bolt being broken off in my crank... lol This suck ***
Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sick'98WS6
Well I got the flywheel to hold, with a screwdriver... and now I am going to have to deal with my crank bolt being broken off in my crank... lol This suck ***
same thing happened to me, if there is any threads still sticking out at all, go to sears and buy yourself some stripped bolt removers.

they worked wonders for me
Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
same thing happened to me, if there is any threads still sticking out at all, go to sears and buy yourself some stripped bolt removers.

they worked wonders for me
yeah, try buying an extractor set.. We ended up using one twice on a head/cam swap on a friends mustang, once on the crank pulley and once on one of the cam bolts..
I take all blame for the pulley, but the other one... completely his fault. lol
Old 11-18-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bill12690
yeah, try buying an extractor set.. We ended up using one twice on a head/cam swap on a friends mustang, once on the crank pulley and once on one of the cam bolts..
I take all blame for the pulley, but the other one... completely his fault. lol

lol, 313 results in Search for "broken crank bolt"... just a really stupid problem to have. Im going to Grainger to buy a nice extractor set/ tap and drill bits and some cutting oil.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, 313 results in Search for "broken crank bolt"... just a really stupid problem to have. Im going to Grainger to buy a nice extractor set/ tap and drill bits and some cutting oil.
you just about cant re-use the stock bolts, since they stretch

while i was torquing mine down i can feel that i was almost there, and the bolt felt like it got loose, i started saying ohh shii, then snap

thankfully i was lucky and it left me about 1/16" left of the threads so i could get it out
Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol. glad to know im not alone..
Like i said though, the cam thing... completely not my fault. We got everything done, got the 2nd cam in and about halfway through... snap.
At that point we were both thinking... oh f*ck. luckily it came out pretty easy..

sorry for the threadjack..lol

Quick Reply: Need a flywheel holding tool