Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1-2 billet keys question *noobie rebuilder*

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1-2 billet keys question *noobie rebuilder*

currently rebuilding my tranny over this wonderful turkey weekend..

on with the issue.. ordered my parts from a non sponsor, but was highly spoken for by a few on the site back when amber and crew werent responding to people..

anyways..

The 3-4 billet keys came with green upgrade springs and with a note to use them with the billet keys, so I did and no issue.

The 1-2 billet keys came also with two green springs, but there wasno note, as whether to use them or not,,, chuckles.. I did obviously assume yes I should use them.. but when placing the springs, one of them is a hair too short and doesnt snap around or estend past the last billet key. if I press it in a bit, itll fit but then it makes a very IFFY contact point with the middle key.

I am wondering if I should just use the stock original springs, didnt have an issue with them... or is there some unspoken No-No with useing stock springs and billet keys?

thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you should use the new springs. The springs will retain more contact as the keys move "deeper" in the groove when compressed.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

I've used stock springs several times with the billet keys and never had a single issue .
Old 11-29-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the replies. Figured there was a reason to use them, but there really didnt seem that big of a difference between the springs. Though even the stock springs fit better than that short one, so I guess Ill just use the stock ones for the 1-2.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thesource
I've used stock springs several times with the billet keys and never had a single issue .
never had a problem with the stock clips. I am sure you will be fine either way. Just make sure you get the main & countershaft clearances right
Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChiTownHustler
never had a problem with the stock clips. I am sure you will be fine either way. Just make sure you get the main & countershaft clearances right
So we cant just take it apart, put it back together, and hope itll all come out right? I didnt really plan on getting and magnetic base dial indicators etc etc.

Are we talking about end play wiggle room like in 360` or are we talking about compression/expansion movements along the long axis of the mainshaft etc?

Had planned on simply putting it all back together, pray itll all go in, close it up and hope itll go into the gears using the shifter before putting it back on the car.

Someone sent me a pm in regards to the 1-2 billet keys.. may just end up using the stock spring and keys
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Most of the time , you will not have to adjst anything on the shimming if you do not want to . I prefer to set my units up a little snug while others do not . Pull the races out of the front case and look at the shims . If the surface area on the shim looks smooth , reuse it . If the surface area looks like a portion of it has been worn down , replace the shim with the same thickness shim (measure on the thickest part of the shim to get the correct #).
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

I got sent new springs which fit fine

Now my next question is whether or not I should grind down my billet keys or not.
The 1-2 billet keys have an extra lil bit that hangs down, which looks like its there to grip the spring.

The stock keys didnt have this feature. So Im not sure if I should grind it down or not. Did some research about them and got a pm suggesting I shave them down..

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the keys.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

See the post I just posted about billet keys.. It depends on where you got yours from.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

the gear box.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: 1-2 billet keys question *noobie rebuilder*