Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 clutch issues

Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 clutch issues

I installed a ls7 clutch, pressure plate, ls2 flywheel, and disk about a year and a half ago. I've only driven the car about 800 miles since I have another daily driver. I have many of the same issues as many others with the engagement right off the floor. I also bought a new master and added a remote bleeder to the slave. After bleeding the the clutch with both the remote bleeder and a mighty vac, i got all the air out. Well my engagement issues are still there and I decided to pull the tranny to see if I had a recalled flywheel. Nope, so I was looking at the disk and wondering if I had faced it in the right direction. Is there a way to screw this up? and could it cause engagement issues? I've already bought a shim and plan on installing it but I want to know what direction the disk should face. Does anyone have pics of it installed where you can clearly see the disk? Thanks
Paul
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AllThrottle4U
I installed a ls7 clutch, pressure plate, ls2 flywheel, and disk about a year and a half ago. I've only driven the car about 800 miles since I have another daily driver. I have many of the same issues as many others with the engagement right off the floor. I also bought a new master and added a remote bleeder to the slave. After bleeding the the clutch with both the remote bleeder and a mighty vac, i got all the air out. Well my engagement issues are still there and I decided to pull the tranny to see if I had a recalled flywheel. Nope, so I was looking at the disk and wondering if I had faced it in the right direction. Is there a way to screw this up? and could it cause engagement issues? I've already bought a shim and plan on installing it but I want to know what direction the disk should face. Does anyone have pics of it installed where you can clearly see the disk? Thanks
Paul
I know when I did my ls7 kit the disc said in very small stamped letters this side to flywheel, they are a bitch to see but they are on there. Let me know what you find out as I am having a similar issue when the car is still cold.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

If it said that then I am positive I did it correctly, it's just that i did it a year and a half ago and can't remember if it had a stamp. I'm just second guessing everything because i'm having issues with this clutch. I think for those of us who have no means to adjust the clutch prior to installation are playing russian roulette. When I first installed it I could barely get it in to 1st gear and reverse. I just did as everyone said, give a few hundred miles. I think it's not fully disengaging to do the adjustment on it's own. Oh well, the tranny is out now and I have a shim that goes behind the slave. I will post up the results and where the release in the pedal goes from here. I have a theory that the shim will help the adjustment feature to pull the the release point to the top of the pedal. If not then it should stay in the middle, either way at least I can drive the damn thing.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

The disk only goes one way. The flat side needs to face the flywheel. It would be impossible to bolt it together if the side the the springs sticking out faced the flywheel.

Andrew
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Check out my post here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ns-4-newb.html
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same set up, 1st gear seems to be a little slippery but the rest or ok, its better since adding BMR tourque arm
Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

Here's an update on my clutch issues. I installed the slave spacer from thunder racing. It was a little better but still engaging too close to the floor and anything but granny shifts were out of the question. I went to oriellys to get a new master cylinder because everything leaned to that. BTW the master from oriellys is only 71.00 and was exactly the same as my 01-02 unit from GM down to the manufacturer and part numbers, less the braided line and reservoir and has a lifetime warranty. Anyways, after bleeding air and forearms it didn't help. So I will be making my master adjustable and cutting the stop to get more volume tomorrow. I am on a limited budget so a tick master or a new clutch is out of the question right now. I know my slave is good and I really don't want to pull the tranny again. I'm starting to think I got a bad/warped ls7 clutch disk or pressure plate. I bought it used from a member on here which I know I shouldn't have done. Am I stuck with this until the clutch disk wears or the plate finally adjusts?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

???? LS7 clutches should be installed as-is straight out of the box. no spacers or shims. as for engaging right off the floor, they all do that during the break-in period. i know mine did for the first few hundred miles. have you been driving the car very easy?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went along with the theory "all of the lS7 clutches engage right off the floor" While my trans builder told me otherwise. Had it built and replaced the slave (which i found to be sticking) I put it back in and it engaged 3-4 in. off the floor. Feels just right....now
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

I drove it easy for the first hundred miles. The clutch was used do I didn't have to do the break in myself. I have beat on it, drove normal, drove easy and I still have had issues going on 1100 miles now. I know the clutch is a direct replacement no shims required but I tried that. I only put in a shim when it didn't adjust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls7 clutch issues