Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shimming questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shimming questions

I got a transmission and I'm swapping my front adaptor to it so I can use it in my Camaro. I'm in the process of shimming the bearings which were pretty loose after installing the case to the adaptor. I don't have the special tool shown in the Tremec manual. It says to use the special tool in Figure 6-1 and slide it through the front and thread it into the countershaft extension. But, in figure 5-1, the countershaft extension is not installed, just the dial indicator against the countershaft. I don't see any reason to install the countershaft extension and tighten it against the countershaft with the tool because it shouldn't have any effect on the bearing. The bearing hub is pressed onto the countershaft and the thrust washer is tightened against the bearing hub by the extension. Am I ok just checking the tolerance by pushing up on the countershaft (without the extension installed) like I did the input shaft? I don't see why not.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that will allow you to set the shim for the main cluster gear in the case. The tool that fits in the clustergear is for setting the cluster extension play. Shims are placed in the extension housing.