Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GOT MY NEW TRANY TR6060 (T56 Magnum)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thesource
I'm not saying the T56 Magnum is junk but its not much superior to the T56 IMO. If you need a unit and do not have a core, its a good option to consider. If you have a good core to work with, having it rebuilt is a better choice IMO.
See thats what I'm also thinking. I have seen way too many built T56's take a ton of abuse & not die all while costing less in the long run. Cause correct me if I'm wrong but we don't even have a 100% answer on weather it'll fit without having to make any special pieces or cut something up on the car. Sure 2" doesn't sound like much but it can end up throwin alot of stuff off. Not to mention if you have the ability to do your own T56 rebuild at home over a weekend you can have a very stout tranny for under $2k if you only order the rebuild parts kit. Unless prices have gone up since last time I priced one out that would be rated to 700/700 all day.

I understand the curiosity over a new tranny option but I'd like to see after install & some abuse if it is really worth it over a tried, tested & proven properly built T56.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

I just did a LS1 T56 with upgraded billet keys, bronze fork pads, iron 3-4 shift fork, machined Viper input shaft and Viper output shaft for a local customer. The bill came in at just under $2100 (core was provided) and I would put it against any TR6060/T56 Magnum out there.

I'm not saying the T56 Magnum is junk but its not much superior to the T56 IMO. If you need a unit and do not have a core, its a good option to consider. If you have a good core to work with, having it rebuilt is a better choice IMO.
ok idk how the gears are bigger. but have you opened one up? sorry bud. but they are bigger. idk this whole trany ****. i just bet the **** out of them.

and your right how many have taking 450. or how many 1000 horse vipers are there. good call, but if the t-56 is rated to 400 and hold 1000. then the magnum rated at 700 should hold like 1800.

only time will tell. but honestly, open one up. weither it is a magnum or a stock tr6060 out of a vete or stang. but gears are bigger and hold more. not to say that all the little thing arent upgraded.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TR6060 gears are slightly wider than the T56 gears. This does increase the surface area of the contact pattern the gears make. How much does this really help? Only time will show.........

Personally, I would expect to see failure of the TR6060 right around the same power level as the Viper spec T56. All I can say is good luck if something does go down in the unit. I would imagine that the parts are going to be super expensive if even available through Tremec for the first couple of years.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

I would imagine that the parts are going to be super expensive if even available through Tremec for the first couple of years.
And thats what could be the determining factor of weather it's a worthwhile swap or not VS a built T56. If it fits correctly & proves to be damn near impossible to break it'll be worth it especially after a couple years & upgrade parts hitting the market. But as of right now if your T56 breaks it's not a problem finding parts. Same can't be said for this new tranny option, yet anyway. And I could see that in itself sway peoples decision to try it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

i did have the choice to swap or not. Six Speed inc. fucked me. and they still got my core. **** your Edward and Amber.

but what does a viper spec fail at? 1000. 1200. i hope it get me there. if not. just rebuild. but i think the 6060 has a great fondation
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
i did have the choice to swap or not. Six Speed inc. fucked me. and they still got my core. **** your Edward and Amber.
I believe a lot of folks got burned when all that went down.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

And yet LMR hired this homo and people take their cars there for T56 rebuilds and to get their cars tuned as if nothing ever happend.......

Hopefully D&D gets your order squared away and you get the right unit. Keep us posted on how much bs it takes to get it to fit in your car.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahahah..... You guys are to much.

I was wondering if "The Magnum" is equipped with billet keys for all the sliders and bronze fork pads for all the forks ?

Also wondering about the syncros being superior to the double triple
syncros in the MN12 trannys ?

Also some tranny parts I buy from various vendors say made in the USA on the boxes. Others say Hencho en Mexico.

Anyone driven a new 2010 6 speed Camaro yet ?

It would be fun to dissect before sending it back ... j/k

Last edited by bearcatt; 05-06-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearcatt
hahahah..... You guys are to much.

I was wondering if "The Magnum" is equipped with billet keys for all the sliders and bronze fork pads for all the forks ?

Also wondering about the syncros being superior to the double triple
syncros in the MN12 trannys ?

Also some tranny parts I buy from various vendors say made in the USA on the boxes. Others say Hencho en Mexico.

Anyone driven a new 2010 6 speed Camaro yet ?

It would be fun to dissect before sending it back ... j/k

It does not have bronze fork pads. The rings in the original TR6060 had powdered brass rings like the ones found in the TR3650 5 speed 1-2 rings. I have heard Tremec was redesigning the rings so I am not sure what the magnum has in it. The Tremec parts are made in Mexico as far as I know.

I know a guy on Corral was converting a Viper TR6060 into his Mustang and issues finding a yoke to fit it. I wonder if the T56 Magnum uses the same yoke. If so, good f'n luck getting one. Hopefully it uses the same yoke a Ford 31 spline like the TKO series 5 speed.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does not have bronze fork pads. The rings in the original TR6060 had powdered brass rings like the ones found in the TR3650 5 speed 1-2 rings. I have heard Tremec was redesigning the rings so I am not sure what the magnum has in it. The Tremec parts are made in Mexico as far as I know.
No bronze goodies, that's no fun. I want all billet and bronze. lol

I don't know much about the TR3650 other than they come in the mustangs and the earlier GT's. ( meaning the latest mustang platform )
I read a few complaints regarding notchy shifts on the TR3650.

I know a guy on Corral was converting a Viper TR6060 into his Mustang and issues finding a yoke to fit it. I wonder if the T56 Magnum uses the same yoke. If so, good f'n luck getting one. Hopefully it uses the same yoke a Ford 31 spline like the TKO series 5 speed.
I hope he finds one...

Eventhough the T56 Magnum trans is now available, that would suck if you couldn't get a yoke or had to pay out the nose for it ? On the flipside if the Magnum uses the TKO yoke that would make life easier. I hope GM used the same TKO 31 spline similar to the 2008+ C6 Vettes. hmmmm ?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yoke for the yiper is just a thick-wall truck yoke nothing exotic. The Magnum uses a simple 31T yoke that has been in a Mustang for 10 years.Not too hard to find.
I have seen the inside of a magnum:
The Magnum has sintered bronze blocker material NOT powdered metal. They are trippl/ double cone but much larger than the M12 parts. The outer cones are steel not powdered metal.There are no billet struts because the struts are redesigned and don't use the stamped steel parts like the T56. Billit struts are no longer needed nor would they fit. As far as fork pads go- no brass but an upgrade material pad is available( Viper uses them). The gears are wider and the bearings are also much bigger. This is an obvious upgraded box.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Banned

But there was never an issue with the size of the bearings in the T56 to begin with so larger is not really better. The TR6060 from the Viper uses its own special yoke and is only servicable with the driveshaft right now from Dodge. I tried to help a guy find one through Dana/Spicer and it was a no go. As long as the T56 magnum uses a standard 31 spline yoke, all is good as far as that goes. We have not seen the magnum yet so I cannot comment on it internally or externally except for pictures I have seen.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the torque rating goes up I would think the bearing choice would change, as it did. Perhaps you were lucky & never saw bearing problems. It is good that the TR6060 addresses this up front. Yes , It is a plus. The new Viper yoke is common & available. It is the same as the Ram SRT10 part # 05134234AB.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...ght=t56&page=7
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read the thread from Corral Forums.

Bikewiz had to end up buying a complete SRT10 driveshaft.

Those TR6060 viper transmissions are neat looking on the inside. ( At least I think so ). lol

The 1/2 and 3/4 shift forks are different than the T-56.
The plastic shoes/pads orange in color.
The syncros are really different.

That thread was an interesting read and observation.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

Did you notice they went back to using an aluminum 3-4 shift fork? I was told the T56 Magnum was suppose to have revised syncros in it. I guess the bronze rings are not working all that great.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

^^^ yes it has revised syncors. that is why the magnum was released in feb. then had a recall two days later. the stuff on the inside of the magnum is different then the tr6060. i know that sounds weird but it is true. they changed a few things. and dont questo me but i beileve D&D told me the new shift fork is carbon. or carbon fiber. or somthing like that.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

So when are they going to have the 2.66 ratio available for you? We have not seen any units or an ETA on them either. Once we get one, I might open it up and check everything out.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you notice they went back to using an aluminum 3-4 shift fork? I was told the T56 Magnum was suppose to have revised syncros in it. I guess the bronze rings are not working all that great.
I didn't think of it at the time, but it sure does look like aluminum.

If they end up not using bronze, I wonder what other material they will go to.

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
^^^ yes it has revised syncors. that is why the magnum was released in feb. then had a recall two days later. the stuff on the inside of the magnum is different then the tr6060. i know that sounds weird but it is true. they changed a few things. and dont questo me but i beileve D&D told me the new shift fork is carbon. or carbon fiber. or somthing like that.
Carbon or Carbon fiber shifts forks. I would think it might be mostly carbon ?
Either way I would think the forks would be lighter.

Does the 2010 Camaro have a mutated TR6060 or the " Magnum " ?

If Tremec is redesigning the TR6060 into the Magnum... that would lead one to believe the earlier 2010 Camaro's trannies might be different than the later 2010 Camaros ???

Big_Bird I'm also now wondering, if your Magnum is the latest design.

Also I can understand why you would like the 2.66 tranny. I actually like the gear ratios better in my original 2000 T-56 as opposed to my
MN12 2.96.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

according to some article i read its the exact same body with new internals

Quick Reply: GOT MY NEW TRANY TR6060 (T56 Magnum)