Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get my clutch bleed any sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i know that but since it was alittle hard going in first gear and reverse i thought it might need bleed a little more or maybe i need to adjust the master or something if thats possible
Old 05-24-2009, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Do you really believe bleeding the clutch(eliminating air from the system) will change the point at which the clutch "kicks in" or "grabs"(pressure plate clamps the friction disc to the flywheel)? You might google hydrualic clutch operation. Air in the system effects clamping not the point at which the clamping takes place.
What? Air in the system does affect point of engagement. It has nothing to do with clamping force.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

well anyway does anyone think thats all i need to do is bleed it more? can i adjust the stock master if that will help? i cant work on it till i get back to town monday so im looking for some thoughts from u guys.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Mine had a small amount of air in it. It was grabbing right off the floor.
After mitivacing the system from the slave bleeder with the wife pumping the pedal it now grabs about an inch up from the floor..

You cant adjust the stock master for pedal height unless you modify the unit.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya thats how mine is it grabs as soon as i start taking my foot off the floor. looks like ill have to have the little lady crack the bleeder and ill sit in the car a pump the pedal lol. i like that idea better
Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Make your life easier and just cut the hole in the tunnel next to the gas pedal. She can just check the fluid so you can do your bleeding yourself
Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDishong
Make your life easier and just cut the hole in the tunnel next to the gas pedal. She can just check the fluid so you can do your bleeding yourself
Noo!!! I recommend the owner of the car filling up the fluid...That way you dont have to kill someone when they spill it on your fender and it eats up your clear coat
Old 05-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Do you really believe bleeding the clutch(eliminating air from the system) will change the point at which the clutch "kicks in" or "grabs"(pressure plate clamps the friction disc to the flywheel)? You might google hydrualic clutch operation. Air in the system effects clamping not the point at which the clamping takes place.
And yea we do....If you have to push the pedal further down because the air is compressing and not providing the hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder then the pedal is going to have to go further down to disengage the pressure plate, and vice versa on the way up
Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens to your clutch system if needs bleeding? The clutch disengages(unclamps) later and doesn't fully engage(clamp). The question was about point of engagement. Removing air isn't going to change the point of engagement, but it will get rid of the mushy pedal(air being compressed). Some system have an adjustable pushrod or you could shim the master. Go over the pedal freeplay adjustment.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

what the hell is pedal free play adjustment?
Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Its something our cars do not have.

eallanboggs, do you actually own a 6 speed?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

well got the clutch bleed again and it seems alittle better but the pedal isnt as hard as it used to be. is this normal.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Removing air isn't going to change the point of engagement, but it will get rid of the mushy pedal(air being compressed).

your damn rights it will, I have a hydraulic issue that I'm hoping a replacement tick MC will solve, No matter how much I bleed I can't get the air out. I have the exact same problem as this guy, I have to pump my clutch pedal like 10 times to get it to go in gear, once in gear all I have to do is lift my foot off the pedal by about an inch and the clutch is completey engaged. Infact if I hold my foot down on the clutch long enough it will slowly engage itself.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

is there an answer to post #52?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously some of these clutches aren't set up right or they have defective parts of both. Imagine a clutch that you have to pump numerous times to get it to release, but if you hold your foot "down on the clutch long enough it will engage itself". Does that make sense? Of course not. A clutch that self-engages and then at other times needs to be pumped multiple times to get the air in the system compressed enough to overcome the springs in the pressure plate. You have to at least start out with the correct setup and proper functioning parts(slave and master cylinder). If you don't have the correct setup or you have defective parts you have to correct that problem FIRST before you start doing the normal stuff like bleeding air and setting clutch pedal freeplay position. You need a good baseline or you will never reach your goal and you have to be able to figure out whether your problem is an adjustment issue or a faulty part.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not woried about other ppls probs right now I'm worried about the question I asked above. about how the pedal should feel. I have a new clutch,flywheel & slave the only thing that isn't new is the master, so I wish ppl could give ME an answer to that question & not other peoples past problems!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryans01z28
I'm not woried about other ppls probs right now I'm worried about the question I asked above. about how the pedal should feel. I have a new clutch,flywheel & slave the only thing that isn't new is the master, so I wish ppl could give ME an answer to that question & not other peoples past problems!
When I got my system all bled, my wife thought it was weird that the clutch was softer than my truck and just as soft as her mini cooper. She likes it
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bouvs
No matter how much I bleed I can't get the air out. I have to pump my clutch pedal like 10 times to get it to go in gear, once in gear all I have to do is lift my foot off the pedal by about an inch and the clutch is completey engaged. Infact if I hold my foot down on the clutch long enough it will slowly engage itself.
[hijack] My clutch did this exact same thing until I replaced the master. Was a bitch to get into gears at times too. Stoplights were a nightmare. [/hijack]
Old 05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya i am getting more pedal but not much. i think im going to order a Trick master cylinder to c if that helps with getting the pedal off the floor a little more. it inguages about 1" off the floor or so after i blead it another 10 times
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used a mighty vac on my tick this past weekend and wow is all I can say. It made a huge difference after the first time I pull vac. on the system.

Quick Reply: cant get my clutch bleed any sugestions