Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone rebuild their own T56

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used that harbor kit on mine too, good snap ring pliers would have made it easier also, i used a modified pair of needle nose.lol i have a complete set of syncro's minus the brass reverse ring left over if you need them, but get it apart like said above you never know what your gonna find in there. i used a certain ebay store to get most my stuff. they are not a sponser so i wont post it here. but they have good deals and are good guys to deal with.

Last edited by gold98Z28; 05-21-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave like 55 for my OTC! You got a deal. It can be done, but it isn't a good one to start on. My first one was a Saginaw 3 speed . Make sure you get a manual, a good set of flat tipped snap ring pliers as well as your round tipped ones, some Transjel and a shop press. Thats really all you need besides basic hand tools and a shop press. I got pretty frustrated on my first one, but I'm getting better. The one guy I have built I have had to go into twice for a bent input shaft the second time, but he is pretty happy.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

Damn! Guess I could always buy it and take it back when I'm done...lol
Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Thats funny because I'm a Cadillac tech also and around here in Orlando people do beat the **** out of their CTS-V's. Mostly differentials and diff bushings.

Weird how we see different things.
Originally Posted by bearcatt
Hi Caddy tech guys... not to get off topic ... but is there a way to fix those Getrag rearends in those CTS-Vs ?

My brother in law had an 04 and went through three rear ends.

yeah we dont see many people that beat on their cts-v's ( that bring it in the shop) i would imagine their are some rich kids farther south of me that have them but mostly farther north were i am they dont beat them up that bad.

i would imagine there is someone that makes an aftermarket diff for the cts-v since people have been coming in with corvettes with holes in the side of the diff's
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Caddy tech guys... not to get off topic ... but is there a way to fix those Getrag rearends in those CTS-Vs ?

My brother in law had an 04 and went through three rear ends.

I usually replace the whole unit.

They are shitty for the v's compared to the regular cts and sts because the v just makes so much more power and has a manual transmission, which puts more stress on the rear end. The aluminum can't take that much abuse.

The new 2009 CTS-V has a cast iron rear end but it has different mountings points compared to the older CTS-V's so it wont swap over. But I would imagine somebody out there makes aftermarket cast iron rears for them.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are shitty for the v's compared to the regular cts and sts because the v just makes so much more power and has a manual transmission, which puts more stress on the rear end. The aluminum can't take that much abuse.

The new 2009 CTS-V has a cast iron rear end but it has different mountings points compared to the older CTS-V's so it wont swap over. But I would imagine somebody out there makes aftermarket cast iron rears for them.
Cadillac tech here too. Like you said all the V's I work on get beat to ****. I think I could swap one of those rear ends out with my eyes closed now lol
Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
Cadillac tech here too. Like you said all the V's I work on get beat to ****. I think I could swap one of those rear ends out with my eyes closed now lol
i could probly do those pinion seals in my sleep lol
Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-write-up.html
Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm so sorry to get off topic here...

Thanks for answering my question. Below is some pictures of the 2009 CTS-V from the L.A. Auto show. Much more power with LSA motor. The GM rep at the Auto show claimed that Cadillac engineers updated the traction control too.

I love the new CTS-V and all the new CTS Cadillacs with the direct injection V6.
Basically the same motor that is in the new 2010 Camaro.

I would buy one of those CTS-Vs if I could afford it. It would be perfect for a 46 year old dude like myself.

Rebuilding your own T-56 tranny is fun by the way.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

I'm so sorry to get off topic here...

Thanks for answering my question. Below is some pictures of the 2009 CTS-V from the L.A. Auto show. Much more power with LSA motor. The GM rep at the Auto show claimed that Cadillac engineers updated the traction control too.

I love the new the new CTS-V and all the new Cadillacs with the direct injection V6. Basically the same motor that is in the new 2010 Camaro.

I would buy one of those CTS-Vs if I could afford it. It would be perfect for a 46 year old dude like my self.

Rebuilding your own T-56 tranny is fun by the way.

i would love to have one of those babies as my DD also but thats why GM made the affordable f-body for poor guys like me
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLP Firehawk
i would love to have one of those babies as my DD also but thats why GM made the affordable f-body for poor guys like me
I hear you that's a good attitude to have. Those Caddies are so nice though.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 203 Posts

I just want the Supercharger..lol

Quick Reply: Anyone rebuild their own T56