Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problems with 7k+rpm shifts. story inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in this thread about what hydraulics you have in the car?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything in this thread about what hydraulics you have in the car?
tick master and a new slave that comes in the monster kit's.

Pics of the clutch are sent to steve, what a damn good guy he is! I think he is getting more confused now than I am. we are working this out and I will keep you guys updated.

Charlie
Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep us updated. I have been wrestling with this for a looong time. Many clutches, different hydraulics, lots of customer service, 3 or 4 T-56s, all the same problem. I hope its the heat coming from the header. If not, I'm going to throw in an auto and be done with it
Old 06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
Please keep us updated. I have been wrestling with this for a looong time. Many clutches, different hydraulics, lots of customer service, 3 or 4 T-56s, all the same problem. I hope its the heat coming from the header. If not, I'm going to throw in an auto and be done with it
yeah I am almost going auto, but it makes me sick thinking of doing it....

I mean, it a just a stock bottom end, thats just rev happy with a big cam ported l92's and a single plane intake... but it dont do me worth a **** when I cant shift the damn thing.

And Steve being three hours behind me makes for a damn long day when your waiting for him to call you about the pictures i sent. lol
Old 06-21-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys got an update.

Just being bored cleaning out my buddies garage, we came across a very well used clutch that came out of his cam only 150 shot ta. that being said it looked like ****, just about the whole pressure plate was blue from heat. anyways the clutch disc was wore out.

so he joked that i should try to put it in my car, being as I had the trans removed to send pics of the current 11" monster clutch that just didnt work to steve.

anyways the clutch my buddy had was a Centerforce DFX. Like I said it looked wore out. I measure some things and it measured the same as the monster setup. So looked at the parts, and knowing my problem, I just used the monster flywheel, monster stage 5 disc with the centerforce dfx pressure plate.

I took the car down the street a few miles to the high way, rolled to 20 MPH and flat foot shifted every gear, even 5th gear at 7400. I have NEVER EVER been able to do this before... and I did this about 7 times just to prove myself and my buddies that this junk looking pressure plate really did work....

so you guys tell me what you think, cause I am shocked... again car drives and shifts perfect..
Old 06-21-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Sounds like you found the problem. Good work,

Larry
Old 06-21-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe there was a Bulletin awhile ago(eventhough I can't find it) involving Corvette's and CTS-V's for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor on high RPM shifts. The fingers on the PP were not strong enough to pull the clutch back and you would have to let the RPM's drop to get the pedal back.

What do the Monster fingers look like compared to the Centerforce? Maybe they're not strong enough?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird!!! I shift @ 7200 rpm with a monster 12" stage III with 4130 flywheel and it doesnt have any issue like you described. And the fact that no matter what disk or pp/flywheel it still does it leads me to think it's hydraulic possibly???

edit...weird that the pp solved it....
Old 06-21-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only thing i can come up with that makes the centerforce's "pressure plate fingers" come back to enganged is the counter weights on the fingers???

idk, but it works. and I have tried 3 monster clutches, My textralia almost came apart on me the first pass I made with this motor, being it had almost completely ripped off two mounting locations on the PP.

I dont know how long it will last, but I am taking it out tonight and I might spray it and see what happens....
Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
the only thing i can come up with that makes the centerforce's "pressure plate fingers" come back to enganged is the counter weights on the fingers???

idk, but it works. and I have tried 3 monster clutches, My textralia almost came apart on me the first pass I made with this motor, being it had almost completely ripped off two mounting locations on the PP.

I dont know how long it will last, but I am taking it out tonight and I might spray it and see what happens....
I just dont see how you are tearing up PP's, clutches, etc, your not making that much power off the spray... this is freaking odd....
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This whole thing has be stumped...

I've got pleanty of 12" setups out there spinning 7500 rpms without issue that are making more power and more torque.

I've also got a tester for that 11" that spins his to 7300 and he's not had one single issue.

I genuinely believe that either your car just hates me/you, or, there is something "off" on your hydraulics, it's just not making any sense.

Charlie, I'll be calling you this afternoon, I'm waiting on a call.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADD SS
I just dont see how you are tearing up PP's, clutches, etc, your not making that much power off the spray... this is freaking odd....
yeah but how many people are making 600 horse with a stock bottom and spinning them to 8k??

I cant see anything with my hydraulics, Tick master(fixed my problem I was having at the LSX shootout) and I put in a new slave with every kit Steve sends me. I adjust the pedal as per instructions.

AGAIN, I took the car out last night and raced a few people shifting 7500 -7700 and never missed a shift. hell my buddies say I leave a 10 foot long patch every time I shift. BUT I didn't spray it last night cause of my tune.

I am no expert, but the **** works.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

I've got the same issue with a McLeod dual friction. I always thought it was because the clutch couldn't take the RPMs because its fine when its cold but when it gets hot I can't even drive it normal, the pedal sticks to the floor so bad.
I think I am going to try a RAM. I've heard nothing but good things about their power holding ability, now their driveability on the other hand.........
Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

yeah but how many people are making 600 horse with a stock bottom and spinning them to 8k??

I cant see anything with my hydraulics, Tick master(fixed my problem I was having at the LSX shootout) and I put in a new slave with every kit Steve sends me. I adjust the pedal as per instructions.

AGAIN, I took the car out last night and raced a few people shifting 7500 -7700 and never missed a shift. hell my buddies say I leave a 10 foot long patch every time I shift. BUT I didn't spray it last night cause of my tune.

I am no expert, but the **** works.
its a NON ported GMPP L92 intake with the edelbrock ultra low elbow.

it made 580 flywheel horse with a pretty good power band... so if this thing wont stick to the floor then I should get some decent time out of this heavy thing.

as far as the pedal sticking to the floor, I guess it would be because of rotational mass not letting the the clutch engage back??? I am no expert, but the clutch pedal stays on the floor, cant argue with that. and yes I have a new slave and Tick master adjusted several times to try different pedal travels.... you name it I have done it to get it to work. Lets hope this setup does the trick.

ohh and I drove it up the street real quick, I also changed the tranny fluid to amsoil ATF, and damn this thing shifts smooth now! clutch feels good so far. like I said next week it will get some street miles put on it, and off to the track Friday. and if it works its getting a 150 shot too.
I as well as my other friend still have to mighty vac our Tick Performance Masters to get it to stop getting soft and blackening the fluid. I have tried 4 different fluids and ran my lines the farthest distance as possible from my headers under the heat shield. I still seem to get a soft pedal after about 10 hard track passes or after a few weeks of spirited driving. But as long as I mighty vac it about every month for a few hours and replace the fluid everything is ok. Though neither him or I have ever been able to get every bit of air out of it but are able to get them stiff again everytime. I cant be mad though becuase my stock hydrolics (3 new sets) never seemed to work after even one 1/4 mile run on bolt of power. I am still almost always able to hit all my shifts succesfully with the Tick even when soft.

Have you tried getting a mighty vac on there and seeing if that helps?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

well no. being as the Centerforce DFX pressure plate pretty much fixed the problem I was having... I still did everything the same way as I always did.

I have beat the **** out of this thing for two nights in a row. thats enough to prove to me that its time for the track.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Interesting. Centerforce/Monster hybrid setup. Can't knock it if it works!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Maybe the centerforce pressure plate just needs less pressure on the spring from the slave. Wouldn't that make it easier on the pedal. just a thought.

I wish you would have tried a mighty vac before having to install a new PP it may have saved you some time but than again maybe not.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the problem had to lie in the pressure plate.

I didnt have a problem with it shifting, it would shift fine and go into gear, but the pedal wouldn't come back/the pressure plate was stuck in on high RPM shifts. and when the rpm's dropped back under 6500 or so the pedal/pressure plate would come back.

as far as pedal effort, the Centerforce has just as much effort as anything else I have had in there. I just dont know how much power this thing can take, cause I want to spray it at the track here soon.

I really dont know, it has been a year of fighting clutches, hydraulics getting the trans built and everything else to get this thing to shift the way it should. and now that I can, I still cant believe it lol
Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Wow Polly that is some CRAZY ****. But **** it, it works drive the **** out of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good read man...

I'm glad that you have it working for you now...

It makes me wonder that the stock PP that Monster uses just might not be up to the task of higher rpm... ?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "stock" comment... but I thought Steve told me that the GM PP was a great piece, so he designed his clutch to work with it...

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems with 7k+rpm shifts. story inside!