Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problems with 7k+rpm shifts. story inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious to see how this goes at the track as well. I may have missed it so I'll ask when you had the issues were you at the track or on the street? So far the new pp seems to work on the street but if your issues have only occurred at the track then it's a different set of circumstances.

The point I'm getting at is that to me it sounds like hydraulic issues as well. I'm wondering if issues at the track are caused by heat from your burnout, the abuse of the aggressive launch then the extra heat associated with the higher rpms and power during the shifts.

If you don't have issues at the track then the differences in the pp's will have to be explored.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLSS
It makes me wonder that the stock PP that Monster uses just might not be up to the task of higher rpm... ?

Correct me if I'm wrong on the "stock" comment... but I thought Steve told me that the GM PP was a great piece, so he designed his clutch to work with it...
No, it is not a stock PP.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning
I'm curious to see how this goes at the track as well. I may have missed it so I'll ask when you had the issues were you at the track or on the street? So far the new pp seems to work on the street but if your issues have only occurred at the track then it's a different set of circumstances.

The point I'm getting at is that to me it sounds like hydraulic issues as well. I'm wondering if issues at the track are caused by heat from your burnout, the abuse of the aggressive launch then the extra heat associated with the higher rpms and power during the shifts.

If you don't have issues at the track then the differences in the pp's will have to be explored.

as far as there being issues at the track or on the street...

I had issues on the street also. BUT With my stage 6.5 I did the proper break in as per Steve's instructions, and a little father than that. BUT the reason I didnt try that clutch on the street was I just installed my new fuel system and the car needed tuned, so my tuner and I went to the track rather than get caught on the street.

My point being, this centerforce pressure plate, I went straight out to the highway, and I did 10 back to back 10 to 145 mph rolls with it. and the last few I shifted 7700-7800 RPM.. NO LIFT shifts every shift, and never missed one. I would think this would cause more heat than ANY burnout I have done. and I even launched it on the street and did a pull. Clutch works.

So please explain to me, how from that same morning the car wont shift, to later that night changing the PP and the **** works??? I dont see anything wrong with my hydraulics. Tick master and a new slave, new fluid. Pedal is perfect.

So again, please explain to me.......

Tomorrow night its getting sprayed on the street and see what happens, and saturday its going to the track.

Steve is still tryin to figure this one out, till he does I'll be here waiting. I spent good money to have a clutch that works, and this is as close as I have got to something working...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova

So please explain to me, how from that same morning the car wont shift, to later that night changing the PP and the **** works??? I dont see anything wrong with my hydraulics. Tick master and a new slave, new fluid. Pedal is perfect.

Well, maybe it got bled completely when you put teh Centerforce in? I mean, I know you probaly did the exact same thing you had been doing, but maybe this time, you got it spot on? Again, I am not insinuating that up to this point you have not known how to bleed the hydraulics (Im not) Im just saying that it COULD be a coincidence, and you got it spot on this time. I am just as confused as to why as everyone else, so at this point, you HAVE to look at EVERY possibility.
Let us know how it goes at teh track.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

as far as there being issues at the track or on the street...

I had issues on the street also. BUT With my stage 6.5 I did the proper break in as per Steve's instructions, and a little father than that. BUT the reason I didnt try that clutch on the street was I just installed my new fuel system and the car needed tuned, so my tuner and I went to the track rather than get caught on the street.

My point being, this centerforce pressure plate, I went straight out to the highway, and I did 10 back to back 10 to 145 mph rolls with it. and the last few I shifted 7700-7800 RPM.. NO LIFT shifts every shift, and never missed one. I would think this would cause more heat than ANY burnout I have done. and I even launched it on the street and did a pull. Clutch works.

Tomorrow night its getting sprayed on the street and see what happens, and saturday its going to the track.

Steve is still tryin to figure this one out, till he does I'll be here waiting. I spent good money to have a clutch that works, and this is as close as I have got to something working...
Easy there tiger I'm just asking questions to get the full picture of your situation. If we can all learn something it'll only lead to solving the ongoing issues with these ls clutch systems. I've seen many shifting issues that were caused by hydraulic issues in these systems. I've also driven plenty of cars with centerforce setups and they weren't impressive at all. Point is if there's a certain combination of parts that'll solve these issues it's needs to be identified and known. If there's a given set of circumstances that cause these issues then they need to be identified and known. I'm not sold because you had 1 night of things working properly so I'm awaiting further results. I was just throwing ideas out there incase you do have issues when you get back to the track and I wanted to make sure we were comparing apples to apples scenarios. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took the car to the track with the slicks.

its was damn hott out so the track was a little slick(not that it hooks all that great anyways)

first pass shifted 72-7300 and ran 11.58 at 120. with a 1.70 60ft.

2nd pass, took some air pressure out of the slicks and made a few tune changes and ran an almost best pass ever even in the heat of a 11.46 at 121 with a 1.68 60 foot.

time for the Nitrous.

150 shot with a safe tune, -10 degree's of timing and a way safe 11.5 afr. 800 lbs bottle pressure.

went 10.76 at 130 with a 1.58 60 foot. kind of ***** shifting it cause i really have never made this many good passes yet this year

last pass with a little less fuel but worse 60 foot and 330 times with a 1.60 60 foot and went a 10.67 at 132.

all in all for how damn hott it was and the track sucking, I am so damn happy

I will post video's later tonight or tomorrow.

Proof enough??? just playing guys
Old 06-28-2009, 01:45 AM
FormerVendor

just playing guys

That's just not right!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Took the car to the track with the slicks.

its was damn hott out so the track was a little slick(not that it hooks all that great anyways)

first pass shifted 72-7300 and ran 11.58 at 120. with a 1.70 60ft.

2nd pass, took some air pressure out of the slicks and made a few tune changes and ran an almost best pass ever even in the heat of a 11.46 at 121 with a 1.68 60 foot.

time for the Nitrous.

150 shot with a safe tune, -10 degree's of timing and a way safe 11.5 afr. 800 lbs bottle pressure.

went 10.76 at 130 with a 1.58 60 foot. kind of ***** shifting it cause i really have never made this many good passes yet this year

last pass with a little less fuel but worse 60 foot and 330 times with a 1.60 60 foot and went a 10.67 at 132.

all in all for how damn hott it was and the track sucking, I am so damn happy

I will post video's later tonight or tomorrow.

Proof enough??? just playing guys
Is it really making 600 hp? Glad it seemed to work out.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it really does make 600 horse..... I dont live at sea level like a lot of you guys. and the air was super shitty yesterday. around here my car is prolly one of the fastest heads and cam cars.. so idk.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

yeah it really does make 600 horse..... I dont live at sea level like a lot of you guys. and the air was super shitty yesterday. around here my car is prolly one of the fastest heads and cam cars.. so idk.

So you DID take car to the track? I thought you said you were just playing with us? OK, now I am confused
Old 06-28-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ment proof enough, but I didn't want to make you guys mad.... thats all.

yeah track times are posted. my only issue now is for some reason on the nitrous passes the trans was stuck in 4th after each run....
Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...ass_691971.htm

here's a link to the video. for some reason the sound is way off but i will work on that.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

What kind of DA etc is it at that track? I wish we had a good track around here. Also, Where those your 60' times it displayed 2.50?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think one of the dragster guys said it was like 6500 or some ****... they were bitching cause their dragster that runs 4.90's all the time was only running 5.20' s saturday lol
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM
FormerVendor

I ment proof enough, but I didn't want to make you guys mad.... thats all.

yeah track times are posted. my only issue now is for some reason on the nitrous passes the trans was stuck in 4th after each run....

Ain't gonna make us mad. You got a problem, we got to figure it out is all. And as you know, Steve will go to GREAT lengths to get you taken care of
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen414
Ain't gonna make us mad. You got a problem, we got to figure it out is all. And as you know, Steve will go to GREAT lengths to get you taken care of
yeah I know!! after our conversation the other night... I think I am pretty much one of his test people. he says I beat the **** out of these clutches, and if it will hold my ****, he feels pretty good about it.

I think Steve has a special one coming for me soon, all he said was he was waiting on flywheels for them
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a much better video, where the sound is not all f'ed up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgVP82VNhs
Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

That video sounded like you're shifting alright.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

here is a much better video, where the sound is not all f'ed up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgVP82VNhs

Well, COMPLETELY OT, you just showed me a first....GRASS in teh middle of teh track I can honestly say I have NEVER seen GRASS in teh middle of a track. You get out of groove, you are F*****.

OK, back on topic. Sounds like you are lifting on those passes, is that how you are driving teh Monster as well?

car looks and sounds good though, and runs good as well!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vid doesn't work.

I'll be calling you later this week Charlie.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems with 7k+rpm shifts. story inside!