Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help:Hard to go into reverse after 9" install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help:Hard to go into reverse after 9" install

So just did a 9" swap and im having problems putting it on reverse, it will go but i have to force it to go on reverse, i check the fuse solenoid and it was good any ideas what could be causing it, also when i idid the swap the speedometer is not working any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 99 black ss sj
So just did a 9" swap and im having problems putting it on reverse, it will go but i have to force it to go on reverse, i check the fuse solenoid and it was good any ideas what could be causing it, also when i idid the swap the speedometer is not working any help would be appreciated thanks

OK, first...did everything work before you swapped the 9"? (seems like a silly question, but want to make sure)

How long did car sit before the swap?

Check wires, connections, etc...Whose 9"?

Is your ABS light on now?

What about if rear end is on jackstands...still hard to get into reverse? Car off? Running?

have you tried this:

Put car in 1st, roll forward a few inches, and while you are still moving forward, clutch it and try and put into reverse.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the driveshaft might be too long.

Or the wires on the back of the tranny got damaged.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Sounds like the driveshaft might be too long.

Or the wires on the back of the tranny got damaged.

actually the ds is short it was made for a th400 and i have t56 could that be the problem its too short?

Last edited by 99 black ss sj; 08-17-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gen414
OK, first...did everything work before you swapped the 9"? (seems like a silly question, but want to make sure)

How long did car sit before the swap?

Check wires, connections, etc...Whose 9"?

Is your ABS light on now?

What about if rear end is on jackstands...still hard to get into reverse? Car off? Running?

have you tried this:

Put car in 1st, roll forward a few inches, and while you are still moving forward, clutch it and try and put into reverse.

yeah everything work before the install, my abs asr and check engine lights are on, the car is running it would shift all gears easily ill try your suggestion
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well inless the 9' has ABS option on it...the light will always be on. MWC is really the only one who offers a decent working option as far as i know.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you are having an issue getting the shifter past the reverse lock out solinoid (left to right) and not physically getting it into gear (down to up), right?

It could be because your VSS is not working, maybe a fail safe or something. I forget what it is set to in the PCM, but the reverse lock out is based off of that (mph). So it may be possible if the PCM is seeing a short or failure in the VSS (as indicated by your SES light and lack of Speedo), it automatically enables the reverse lock out solinoid.

Your ABS light will NOT create this problem
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

its just hard to put on reverse 1-6 gears works good, i check the fuse for the reverse solenoid and its not burnt or anything
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

re-read the previous post. The reverse lockout solinoid makes it hard to move the shifter over to the right. If this is your issue, then it's most likely the reason I explained above.

If it is NOT hard to move the shifter to the right, but instead hard to move it "up" into the reverse position, then your problem is elsewhere, i.e. tranny, clutch, hydraulics, etc
Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Yea that's definately something with the Speed Sensor since the Speedo is not working, check the Wiring/Connector for that, you may have left it unplugged.

The Speed Sensor tells the Reverse Lockout to open up, so if there is no speed signal then it'll be a bitch to get into Reverse.

See the Black Sensor with the shiny metal around it below the Reverse Lockout.. that's the Speed Sensor.

Last edited by the_merv; 08-18-2009 at 08:13 AM.