Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56

Ok guys I have bought a '99 Z28 with a T-56. The clutch feels decent except for 2nd gear. For whatever reason it wants to make a grinding sound when you try to put it into 2nd. I've noticed also that when you get on the car any at all the pedal wants to stay on the floor. I have heard of this drill mod. I plan on getting that done this week. It does have a aftermarket hurst shifter I did'nt know if that may be causing my issue in 2nd? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 87GN.Rickie
Ok guys I have bought a '99 Z28 with a T-56. The clutch feels decent except for 2nd gear. For whatever reason it wants to make a grinding sound when you try to put it into 2nd. I've noticed also that when you get on the car any at all the pedal wants to stay on the floor. I have heard of this drill mod. I plan on getting that done this week. It does have a aftermarket hurst shifter I did'nt know if that may be causing my issue in 2nd? Any help would be greatly appreciated

it sounds to be a syncro in sec or the teeth is grinded off where the sleeve slides on to the second gear i had the same pro but my best guess is the syncro
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1freak33
it sounds to be a syncro in sec or the teeth is grinded off where the sleeve slides on to the second gear i had the same pro but my best guess is the syncro
Sounds like the tranny gonna need to come out then huh?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the tranny gonna need to come out then huh?
yea it will

buyt it shouldnt cost to much if thts all is wrong wit it it pro will cost u bout $500 to have it rebuilt and stuff for just tht one part the part is pro only like $60 to 80 bucks

the major cost is the guys tht is doin the work dont know it but it is hopefully u might get lucky and it wont cost u tht much
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Do it yourself.. it's actually pretty easy..

It does sound like a Synchro. When you break off them Engagement Teeth it'll still go in, but it kinda shutters when it's in Gear. That's what mine did before the Gear decided to totally go out.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Do it yourself.. it's actually pretty easy..

It does sound like a Synchro. When you break off them Engagement Teeth it'll still go in, but it kinda shutters when it's in Gear. That's what mine did before the Gear decided to totally go out.
tht is true too tht wat was wrong wit myt last trans

just rele have to take it apart asnd find out
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

I appreciate all the help fella's. I'll probably end up doing this myself to save $$$ I just bought the car so I'm runnin a lil short on Cash at the moment. Thanks again
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

I appreciate all the help fella's. I'll probably end up doing this myself to save $$$ I just bought the car so I'm runnin a lil short on Cash at the moment. Thanks again

Well, just keep in mind that "it's rather simple" or "yeah, it's easy" can mean a WHOLE lot of different thing to different people. Your basic knowledge of mechanics as well as your tool inventory play a BIG part in how "easy" a job is. So, keep that in mind. There ARE special tools needed to do this job, and with 2nd gear being WAY down on teh mainshaft, you are gonna have to pull everything off teh mainshaft to get to it.
I am NOT trying to tell you can't do it. Not at all. I am just telling you that, what YOUR interpetation of "easy" is probaly different from other's that are telling you it is "easy".
I would investigate (look up the rebuild article in this forum) and see what tools you need so you can determine if YOU think it is easy....
GL
Old 08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Gen414;12093698]Well, just keep in mind that "it's rather simple" or "yeah, it's easy" can mean a WHOLE lot of different thing to different people. Your basic knowledge of mechanics as well as your tool inventory play a BIG part in how "easy" a job is. So, keep that in mind. There ARE special tools needed to do this job, and with 2nd gear being WAY down on teh mainshaft, you are gonna have to pull everything off teh mainshaft to get to it.
I am NOT trying to tell you can't do it. Not at all. I am just telling you that, what YOUR interpetation of "easy" is probaly different from other's that are telling you it is "easy".
I would investigate (look up the rebuild article in this forum) and see what tools you need so you can determine if YOU think it is easy....
GL[/QUOT

Well I have a good friend of mine that said he would go through it when I pulled it out. He just pulled another friend of mine's and went through it. It was in a '03 cobra.I am going to go ahead and purchase a new clutch too. Anybody have any suggestion's on what would be best? I am mainly going to be using it for a DD with the ocassional speed shifting.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That depends on how much power you're looking to make with it and whether you plan to track the car at all. What tires and gearing, as well? Give us more info and we can recommend a few.

Quick Reply: T-56