Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brand new clutch slipping... help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great points Jonathan! It has been a while since I have been under an LT1 F-body too, but youare certainly correct about the slave and not needing to pull it into place with the bolts. If the fork were out of position, and thus not clipping into the bearing properly, it could easily lead to this issue.

Secondarily, we suppy the bolts we do for a reason and thus they should be used with our kit. If this isn't done it too can impact the way the assembly functions. Hopefully the OP will update on his findings today so we can proceed with info as needed.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue with zoom twin in my 97 ls1 corvette where the transaxle configuration makes it much more difficult to access.

The release on my clutch slave was all the way at the top, actually, beyond the top, and that's why it started slipping.

Like others, at first the finger was pointed at fluids, which wasn't unfair as I did replace the heads at the sme time. But it wasn't fluids, the clutch was dry.

The slave cylinder didn't release fully on the pressure plate meaning it needed opposite of shimmed. At first I just thought the release was really high on the pedal and everything seemed to work. Eventually, when it got hot and I pressed in on the pedal completely, the slave over extended the pressure plate spring which yielded. This caused less gripping force, and the clutch discs started slipping under load after that.

I sent my zoom back and they replaced it, but that was over a year ago. I'm suprised there are still clutches out there floating around that are old stock or they are have the same issues with the newer ones too. When I got my new clutch, I didn't have any trouble putting the bell housing together (I did with the first one and used the bell housing bolts to get it that last 1/4 inch tight with the block). That last 1/4 inch was the slave holding up on the pressure plate spring and causing pre load.

I haven't had any trouble with the new one, but have very limited miles on it. THe pedal release is where it should be and everything assembled as it should with the bell housing solidly touching the block. It's a shame because they look like they would be a nice piece otherwise. Zoom's customer service was great, but there have been some changes organizationally. This is just a fact, I have no reason to think the quality of customer service isn't still on par.

Hope this helps and FWIW, if this one fails, my next clutch is a light weight spec 3 with aluminum flywheel.

Last edited by dmiz0420; 09-21-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Took to transmission shop they said they checked everything and still is slipping. Bad clutch from the factory? wow
Old 09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

bumpp
Old 09-28-2009, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Have you talked with Zoom about this? I am sure that they would be interested in speaking with you and its always best to alert a manufacture of any issues...besides they will likely be interested in helping you as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

No not yet i actually was going to wait until it breaks in since thats always what clutch companys say to do... ill call tomorrow and hopefully that helps cuz im pretty much screwed the warranty is up
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

bumpppp
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Talked to zoom and summit which is where i bought it. Neither of them will replace it so im screwed.. someone recommend me a new clutch or buy my car

Quick Reply: Brand new clutch slipping... help