Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Nightmare

I need some help!! The trans was rebuilt about 2 years ago by a local transmission shop. The trans worked before being rebuilt! I don't know exactly what went into the rebuild but I know it was supposed to be a premium rebuild kit from Six Speeds Inc. I know the kit had shift forks, pads, synchros, bearings and some other stuff. It was a total of $919 just for the parts.

The transmission was used for about 6 months in a sbrc Chevy with a full bolt on 408. and 4.88's. When took it out I noticed the input shaft had about a 1/4 inch of play at the very tip from stop to stop. It went into another sbrc with a very mild 5.3. with 4.88's for close to a year and a half before I took it back to the builder because it was popping out of second gear if the engine speed wasn't faster than the vehicle's speed when engaging the clutch. The builder charged me $800 to replace the 1'st and 2nd gear's and the bearings for the input shaft I believe.

Here's the pics of those parts.

After I got it back from him and put everything back together I took it for a gentle ride to try and get it broke in. I didn't make it 4 miles before I heard a loud ping followed by the trans whining. it happened at about 50 miles an hour in 5th or 6th gear. I drove it less than a quarter of a mile back to the house at about 10-15 miles an hour. it wasn't whining at that speed.

After that I parked it while I went to Indiana for a week and came back to a couple really busy weeks at work. It sat until I asked him if he'd pull it for me and figure out whats wrong with it. At this time the builder had me under the impression that I wouldn't be charged for anything. I told him what it was doing and he said it should be fine to drive the truck a few miles to his shop. On the trip there it felt like the trans started binding up in 5th and 6th. After the binding in each gear and taking it out of gear I couldn't get it back into 5th or 6th. Just grinding. 1st-4th where a little noisy but seemed to drive fine.

After getting it apart he tells me it had nothing to do with the assembly. The main shaft warped and took out reverse gear and some other stuff with it. Now he's trying to charge me MORE money to fix it... (its been a week and he still hasn't got me a exact list of what it needs or a price)

The only thing I know to do is take it to a reputable transmission shop and get them to rebuild the thing. Hopefully they'll be able to tell if it was really the builders fault and hopefully if that's the case they'll be able to put that in writing and I can take him to small claims court. I'm thinking AAMCO just so it will be a well known reputable shop and I would get a nationwide warranty in writing through them.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by shakinlm7; 10-25-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

At this point it looks like it's going to become a very expensive proposition.
All those parts that you are going to need add up quickly.

If you buy the parts and do it yourself, it won't be as bad.

Another option I would suggest is to either buy a good rebuild from someone on here or send it to one of our sponsors. 1.) Morris Motorsports is a good place. 2.) Tick Performance is another good place.

Sorry you're having such a difficult time with your T56 transmission.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an Awesome experience with Morris Motorsports. Highly recommended
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-shipping.html

They are having a sale!!!! dont know if that means anything at all but its an option to check out.

Quick Reply: T56 Nightmare