Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

which company for a new built t-56

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which company for a new built t-56

Who does everyone recommend for a built t-56? I am sure there is more than one good company, I know D & D, or RPM seem to be good. I am also considering customer service turn around time, longevity etc. of any one who is currently using them in there vehicles. I dont care of a couple hundred dollar diffrence in price. Ijust want to be confident that it will take anything i throw at it with reliability with a heads cam possible stroker in the future. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Restricted User

RPM all the way
Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Red Z28
Who does everyone recommend for a built t-56? I am sure there is more than one good company, I know D & D, or RPM seem to be good. I am also considering customer service turn around time, longevity etc. of any one who is currently using them in there vehicles. I dont care of a couple hundred dollar diffrence in price. Ijust want to be confident that it will take anything i throw at it with reliability with a heads cam possible stroker in the future. Thanks
I would rec RPM over D&D. Also where do you live? If you dont have to ship it you will be able to save a few hundred bucks.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

I live in nebraska and believe it or not. Not in a cornfield or on a farm(HAHA) So there would be shipping charge i think.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Tick to rebuild mine, so far I have not had any problems. They have many different build options and am sure can offer something that would fit the bill for you. Turn around was very quick, I think they had it for 3-4 days. I live near Omaha and shipping was right at $100 each was as well by UPS ground.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We'd be glad to handle your rebuild. At the cam/head power levels the key to long transmission life is simply a good working clutch and hydraulic system. The gears and shafts are plenty strong...our level two rebuild is what we reccomend to most. Basically the parts that give trouble are shifting related, and a clutch that doesn't fully dissengage will not only cause difficulty shifting but it will also cause accelerated blocker ring and fork pad wear. Our rebuilds can be seen here: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...ackages/fbody/ and our adjustable master that solves most dissengagement issues here: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

Of course if you break the transmission within a year, send it back to us and we'll fix it labor free.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
We'd be glad to handle your rebuild. At the cam/head power levels the key to long transmission life is simply a good working clutch and hydraulic system. The gears and shafts are plenty strong...our level two rebuild is what we reccomend to most. Basically the parts that give trouble are shifting related, and a clutch that doesn't fully dissengage will not only cause difficulty shifting but it will also cause accelerated blocker ring and fork pad wear. Our rebuilds can be seen here: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...ackages/fbody/ and our adjustable master that solves most dissengagement issues here: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

Of course if you break the transmission within a year, send it back to us and we'll fix it labor free.
I have a stock t-56. I put in a spec stage 3 with spec Steal flywheel. I did not do the install a local speed shop that is no longer in business did. I am now stuck in fourth gear. I also have a **** poor reverse synchro that pops out. I am willing to pay but want this to be bullet proof and done correctly the first time.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Red Z28
I have a stock t-56. I put in a spec stage 3 with spec Steal flywheel. I did not do the install a local speed shop that is no longer in business did. I am now stuck in fourth gear. I also have a **** poor reverse synchro that pops out. I am willing to pay but want this to be bullet proof and done correctly the first time.
Nothing leaves our shop that isn't done right. With that said, nothing is bullet proof. The carbon rings that are used are oem in the later t56 trannys. They still wear out, and can still break. Basically everyones rebuild is going to contain factory replacement parts from tremec along with their own custom machined bronze fork pads and billet 3/4 keys. Billet 1/2 keys are also an option. If you're stuck if 4th gear you probably have broken the 3/4 factory keys and one or more pieces are wedged.

-Jonathan
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

We can handle your '56 as well. All our info is on our site (link below), or you can call (prefered) or PM/email for details.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go with finish line tranmissions from the local guys i know they say they are a great trans for the money. A few guys even had the tick ones and blew out third from some hard launches but the finish line trans are still holding up. tick builds decent ones though
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by massconfusion
go with finish line tranmissions from the local guys i know they say they are a great trans for the money. A few guys even had the tick ones and blew out third from some hard launches but the finish line trans are still holding up. tick builds decent ones though
Were they launching in 3rd? I'd put our trans building procedures against anyones...the gears themselves in any basic rebuild are just the current/used gears that you already have unless there is a problem with it...then it gets replaced with a new oem tremec gear.

FWIW, I've never had a trans sent back for a broken 3rd gear and I surely can't figure out how anyone would break 3rd gear launching a car... In fact I've had less than 10 trans sent back period out of probably 500 or so within the last three years that we've been doing them mail order. And a couple of those comebacks were out of their one year warranty and we still warrantied them anyway... I Still haven't seen any broken billet keys on any of the transmissions we've warrantied or refreshed either. Most of our comebacks have been due to a broken hard part like the engagement teeth on the early second gears, broken teeth on the input and cluster in big power applications, broken output shafts in vettes, etc. Problems that could be associated with anyones rebuild...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by massconfusion
You must be confused....FLT does rebuilds on t-56's....just not alot...are you sure it isn't the 2-3 clutches from hard launches on a a-4?

Quick Reply: which company for a new built t-56