Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spit shifter out of 1st on hard launch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spit shifter out of 1st on hard launch.

Last sunday I was at the tack, my first 2 attempts at making a pass didnt go so well. Heres what happened.
I set my 2step to 5k, had the clutch pedal close to the floor then side stepped it at WOT. I thought it would launch real hard but instead it spit the shifter out of 1st???
So thinking I possibly yanked it out of gear since it hooked hard. I tried the same thing on the 2nd pass and the same thing happened wich confirmed it wasnt me.
After that I turned down the 2-step to 4500 and held the clutch pedal just at the engagement point and let off alot smoother and the car left without a problem.

Is it normal for something like that to happen? There are no signs of anything wrong with the trans, it goes into gear and drives just fine and worked fine not dropping the clutch from the floor. Oh and the car has a Street twin clutch.

Thanks and sorry for the long read!
Mike
Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

anyone???
Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If I had to guess I'd say the engagement teeth on the gear and/or syncro assembly have became worn enough that the shock of a lauch like that is causing it to pop back out of gear.

The fork pads could be worn away on the first gear side which wouldn't allow the syncro to fully engage to the gear and might also cause the same issue...but it would probably show up other times when going to first, not just on a hard launch.

Last, and probably not, but if the shifter has a stop that isn't adjusted correctly it could also not allow it to engage the gear fully. If that were the case you'd probably have issues in 3rd or 5th as well though.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

So what your saying is....... It will be at your shop over the winter? Cause its true.lol
Just kinda sucks it has 33k miles and just gone though at FLT last spring it only has a few passes and a couple hundred easy easy street miles.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Bueler......bueler.........
Well I beat on the car today and had it on the dyno without any issues. Think the Street twin clutch just shocks it so hard off the floor it popped out? Again it also didnt do this leaving at 4500 just off of engagement
Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Per chance do you still have the stock rubber trans mount? Try replacing with a poly. The shifter moves around a ton with that loose rubber mount, morseo if its cracked or broken. Could be torquing enough to provide enough movement to be knock the shift lever out of position at hard launch. A very simple and cheap solution if that's the case.

Quick Reply: spit shifter out of 1st on hard launch.