60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Help with which clutch for my application

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with which clutch for my application

Sooooo I think that my pilot bearing has gone out on my Z06. It has crazy vibration when the clutch is pushed in and sometimes when it's out. It goes away but I'm not taking any chances and am pulling everything out to get to it. Long story short is that the original owner put in a stage 1 Spec with the stock flywheel and I don't trust it for the power that I'm looking to add. I'm going to put a new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel. I am currently looking at the ACT twin disk (street), Spec twin disk ST T-trim, or the Textrailia Exoskel. Do you guys have any experience with these in your car? I'm looking for more of a drag race type setup that is friendly for the street, going to be putting down around 750rwhp, and would like to get some miles on it without having to worry about changing it out.

P.S. I can get the Spec for $1100 (originally $1800 or so) but I remember all of the issues with the regular single disks. that has made me a little leary of spec but if they've gotten their act together then I'll get them a try. thanks for your input.

I got no help from the Corvette section so now I'm coming to the experts.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Monster, just ordered one. Check out comments on them, all good that I have read. I have an fbody but they make them for yours also. From what I have read, you will find out the weak point of the car and it wont be the clutch
Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Sooooo I think that my pilot bearing has gone out on my Z06. It has crazy vibration when the clutch is pushed in and sometimes when it's out. It goes away but I'm not taking any chances and am pulling everything out to get to it. Long story short is that the original owner put in a stage 1 Spec with the stock flywheel and I don't trust it for the power that I'm looking to add. I'm going to put a new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel. I am currently looking at the ACT twin disk (street), Spec twin disk ST T-trim, or the Textrailia Exoskel. Do you guys have any experience with these in your car? I'm looking for more of a drag race type setup that is friendly for the street, going to be putting down around 750rwhp, and would like to get some miles on it without having to worry about changing it out.

P.S. I can get the Spec for $1100 (originally $1800 or so) but I remember all of the issues with the regular single disks. that has made me a little leary of spec but if they've gotten their act together then I'll get them a try. thanks for your input.

I got no help from the Corvette section so now I'm coming to the experts.

I am a dealer for Monster, and I need to throw the Monster setup in teh ring here. It is downright tough to beat a Monster...1 year warranty to boot, AND on sale right now.

Any questions, call/pm/email.

Thanks and you can check pricing in my signature (link)
Old 11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Here is a direct link to help ya out. Thanks

http://www.morrismotorsports.net/mon...tches_c6_vette
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow thanks guys. I was kinda wanting a twin disk but would a Monster be as streetable with the holding capabilities of say a Exoskel? Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely look into them.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I would not use anything short of a twin disk at that power level. No single disk holds the power AND is as streetable as a twin disk, that's just the nature of how they work. Singles that hold high power tend to get pretty stiff too, whileas the twin disks generally provide a very light pedal.

I am biased towards the exoskel personally, however there is a 6 week wait on them ATM unless someone has one in stock.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

98t, Thanks for posting your questions. I am certainly happy to assist you with info, in fact I have provided a link to our Super-Twin listing below. I assume that your Z06 is a C5 correct? I am basing the info provided on this assumption.

You can find parts number, cost, and capacities listed there as well as options available for this application. We have had great response from LS based users of our Super-Twin clutch kits. I am sure that others can and will chime in relative to this.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...000/Super_Twin

Take a look and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 2002 Z06. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal! The link above will suit you fine then. I think you will find that our Super-Twins offer both great capacity an fantastic drivability. Of course I may be a bit biased...but I have used both the SST and PT versions in my own car and feel I can certainly speak from experience!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Give us a call directly and we'll get you taken care of. Our single disc WILL hold that power and be streetable.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I would not use anything short of a twin disk at that power level. No single disk holds the power AND is as streetable as a twin disk, that's just the nature of how they work. Singles that hold high power tend to get pretty stiff too, whileas the twin disks generally provide a very light pedal.

I am biased towards the exoskel personally, however there is a 6 week wait on them ATM unless someone has one in stock.
I beg to differ with you. I am running a level 6 Monster in my DD, and it is awesome! You don't get much more streetable than this, and it is guaranteed to hold 900HP/ FT LBS at the rear wheels. Call Steve, he will take good care of you. They have a complete clutch kit that will get you everything you need.

**I will be in OKC this weekend. If you are anywhere near there, I can get with you on Friday, and you can drive my car to see what you think of it. PM me your number if interested, and I will call you Friday afternoon.**