Tick MC - Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
cab
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick MC - Any Regrets?

All,

Like a lot of mods, the Tick MC (based on way too much Internet reading) isn't without its drawbacks. The two I see listed most often (beyond the install which I'll let slide because it is once and done) are the increased pedal pressure and increased challenge in modulating the clutch. The latter could very well be a result of the former...stiffer pedals are simply more difficult to hold right at that sweet spot. The benefit of the tick is that it actually allows you to be able to shift!

Having said that, for those that have done it - any regrets? With regard to the pedal pressure (my big concern on a daily driver) have you gotten used to it or is it more like "Man, I feel like I'm driving a farm vehicle!". Would you recommend it for a DD with some stop and go traffic. I'd love to actually be able to shift, but don't want to trade one pain in the butt for another.

(Note: posted this on LS1GTO.com as I am looking at the Tick for a GTO, but as that offering is relatively new, I figured I would post here as this unit has been available to F-body/Vette owners for much longer).

Thanks!

Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got used to the extra pedal pressure pretty quickly, and don't even notice it now (although I probably would if I drove a stock clutch/master combo). What kinda clutch are you running?

It has been just fine with my RPS stage 3 clutch, and I wouldn't even think about changing it back to the stock master. It is nice being able to make sure the clutch fully disengages, and that alone is well worth the price and the extra pedal pressure. Plus, it should be the last master cylinder I'll ever have to buy - it is rebuildable, and if I ever get a clutch that *requires* an adjustable master cylinder, I'm already covered.

It is a great piece - although I don't daily drive my car anymore, I'd still recommend it for a DD without hesitation.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine, pedel is just right. before it was too soft for a high performance car. And there is no more pedal fade shifting at high RPM's to 3rd gear. You will love it. One of the best upgrades I've done so far.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 PM
cab
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I got used to the extra pedal pressure pretty quickly, and don't even notice it now (although I probably would if I drove a stock clutch/master combo). What kinda clutch are you running? ...
Monster 2.5 in an '05 GTO
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM
10 Second Club

Best $300 I spent on my car!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine in the car in a half hour, piece of cake. Havent driven it with it in yet but I will let you know how I like it. If I am putting a part in I always go aftermarket, normally improved upon a tons, which this piece was.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cab
All,

Like a lot of mods, the Tick MC (based on way too much Internet reading) isn't without its drawbacks. The two I see listed most often (beyond the install which I'll let slide because it is once and done) are the increased pedal pressure and increased challenge in modulating the clutch. The latter could very well be a result of the former...stiffer pedals are simply more difficult to hold right at that sweet spot. The benefit of the tick is that it actually allows you to be able to shift!

Having said that, for those that have done it - any regrets? With regard to the pedal pressure (my big concern on a daily driver) have you gotten used to it or is it more like "Man, I feel like I'm driving a farm vehicle!". Would you recommend it for a DD with some stop and go traffic. I'd love to actually be able to shift, but don't want to trade one pain in the butt for another.

(Note: posted this on LS1GTO.com as I am looking at the Tick for a GTO, but as that offering is relatively new, I figured I would post here as this unit has been available to F-body/Vette owners for much longer).

Thanks!

Chris
I understand completely what your talking about. When I first installed my Tick MC, I didn't like it at first. The clutch was really tricky and trying to find that sweet spot was like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. But after about 2 weeks of driving it I got use to it and it started to feel normal. I've had it for about 8 months and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Give it some time and you'll grow to love it.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed mine with my LS7 clutch and aluminum flywheel, works great!
My only regret is it didn't do it sooner!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Hell no best master i have ever had.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
cab
Teching In

Are you guys who are all giving it the thumbs up daily driving your cars or are they weekend toys?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

You will get used to the little bit of extra pedal pressure. It's more than worth it for sure!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Daily driver, unless I want to start walking everywhere.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Daily drive mine. You get used to it and don't even realize that its different. The benefits are awesome. I can powershift every gear on repeated runs with absolutely no problems. Where before it would not let you into gear and get noticeably notchier and harder to shift.

Cliff Note: I love it