Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What happpened to my fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happpened to my fluid?

Ok, well. I finally got my Tranny back from the rebuild and slapped on the new Tick speed bledder. Put the engine and tranny back in the car and topped off all fluids. That's when I realized that appartently my clutch lines weren't tightened down at the slave cylinder, because I started leaking clutch fluid all over my garage floor. So, I had to drain all the fluids and pull it all back out again, but when I started draning the Tranny Fluid the fluid came out looking like Pepto Bismo (probably spelled that wrong) instead of the deep redish maroon that it looked like when I put it in. So, I'm trying to figure out why and if I'm OK putting the fluid back in the tranny or if I should get some new fluid.

Keep in mind this fluid has never been driven on and the Tranny has a fresh rebuild that has never been driven on either. The fluid is Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

WOW!! Thats a new one. I wouldn't reuse it personally. Is it thicker than normal? If it is I wouldn't run the tranny without talking to the people who built it.

(stupid question) Are you sure nothing was in the pan you drained it in?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, it doesn't seem to be thicker than normal, if anything it's thinner. Yeah, there was nothing in the pan when I drained it and it was actually coming out of the tranny drain plug looking just like above.

I'm not really sure how to get a hold of the place that rebuilt it. I bought the tranny from Arizona and when I got it installed the first time, it didn't have a 2nd gear. So I had to pull the tranny and shipped it back to the junkyard under warranty. They had a shop inspect it and they said they had to rebuild it.