Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Problems, Trans or Clutch? Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Problems, Trans or Clutch? Need Help.

Well I was driving my car 2 nights ago & taking off normally from a stop sign all of a sudden I hear this loud grinding noise coming from the trans/engine area. I came to a stop & every time if I accelerate normally @ about 1000rpm & up there is a bad grinding sound, the trans moves harshly & you can smell burned clutch. I can take off super slow w/out going above 800rpms. @ first I thought it was a trans mount so I replaced it & that didnt fix the problem. I checked fluid & found to be ok. I really dont have much diagnosis experience w/out using electronics so im kind of @ a dead end. Im planning on ordering a new clutch, pp & throw out bearing but was wondering wether it was a bad clutch or internal trans problems. The car is a 2001 ws6 w/ 151,xxx. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Reverse is operating properly if that helps any......anyone?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

When the grinding noise occurs do the RPM's increase but the car won't acceperate? The sound paired with the clutch smell would lead me to beleive that you are seeing slippage but you answer to the above questions will alos help to further understand the situation. Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if youve noticed a big loss in power, im having almost the same problem

Quick Reply: T56 Problems, Trans or Clutch? Need Help.