Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Light Weight Clutch/PP for Fidanza Flywheel

Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Weight Clutch/PP for Fidanza Flywheel

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and will probably be needing to replace the clutch and/or pressure plate for my T-56. All this is going to be going in my LS6 Miata swap (approx 2600lbs with swap) so I am trying to keep the weight down as the car will be used mostly for road racing activities. I'm going to be getting the T-56 with 70k miles that worked just fine before it came out. I would assume it will still have the factory clutch/pp/flywheel. What would you recommend that will hold 500-550hp (only planning on 400-450 right now, but want to have some room to grow) and be reasonable light weight to go along with my Fidanza. I assume none of the factory stuff will work but I'm not quite as familiar with all the products available yet so please feel free to educate me.

Thanks,

Michae
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If im not mistaken, the Spec clutches have an option for an aluminum pressure plate, so you could probably start there.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

A textrellia or monster should work well, are strong and are fairly light.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I talked to Monster but unfortunately they don't sell the clutch kit w/out the flywheel and would rather not mess with having to sell the flywheel. I also looked at the textrailia but they are a bit more than what I would like to spend for a clutch and it appears they also sell their kit with a flywheel. The only company that I am seeing that comes without a flywheel is Spec. They do have an Aluminum case option, but it doubles the cost of the clutch. I may just have to end up with one of their traditional clutches..

Michael
Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should consider paying the extra price for a clutch, especially if you will be road racing. Did you look into a LS7 clutch? That should fit and should be cost effective. I hear mixed reviews on the Spec product, roughly a 50/50 split. Could be from not installing the product correctly but it is hard to tell.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Well, I may end up paying the extra if I don't find a deal on a new one someone decided not to use or something. Yea, I've seen many very happy with the LS7 clutch, but you have to use the LS2/7 flywheel (the Fidanza is an LS1 style from my understanding).Also, the LS7 clutch is a monster and weighs quite a bit! If I remember correctly even with a fairly light flywheel its still less than 10lbs under stock configuration weight. I didn't think trying to find a good clutch/pp option w/out a flywheel would be as difficult as it seems to be..

Thanks

Michael
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Buy either the 2.1 or the 4.3 clutch from Fidanza, I have the 4.3 with their aluminum flywheel, have over 8000 miles on it, I DD and beat the hell out of it every day.

Just make sure to have the whole assembly balanced. A Tick master will make sure you won't have any disengagement issues either.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 AM
DJB
12 Second club

SDPC sells the LS7 with the lightweight aluminum flywheel option. Go to their website.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

ls7 with aluminum flywheel is still heavy, and won't have the capability of holding 500-550hp for very long.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

To the OP, did you see this sale on monster clutches:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...iday-sale.html
Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Teching In

The LS7 clutch is a no-brainer since it uses the larger LS2 style flywheel and is relatively heavy. It's only slightly lighter than a factory setup with the lightweight LS2 flywheel. I have an LS1 style 12lb flywheel that I will be using and I need a corresponding clutch and pp that will hold over 500whp and be as light as possible. I would prefer this clutch be as street friendly and inexpensive as possible. I talked to Steve at Monster and they don't have the ability to sell a kit without a flywheel for some reason. So far the only two clutch/pp choices that I have seen that fit these criteria are the Fidanza and Spec. The spec has the option for an Aluminum casing clutch which would be optimal, but is an additional ~$250 which is a bit much IMO. Keep your opinions coming though. Surprised the resident spec and monster suppliers would have been in here long ago trying to get my business.

Michael
Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

does the aluminum casing one suck though?

Im in the same boat with the same kind of build. The car is getting built for a much higher rpm range and id like to have something that doesnt **** out at high rpm due to the spinning force. The aluminum casing one sounds ideal if its strong enough at higher rpm. How much ligher are we talking vs stock?

Was the fidanza flywheel the lightest you could find?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Here is another thread that a fellow Miata swap guy started.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-race-car.html

There is some good information in there. I still haven't made a decision yet. Nothing reasonably priced is sticking out as a clear winner.

Michael
Old 01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Aurora, I beleive that you posted a simlar questions in another thread where I did in fact address your questions and provided you with info on our Aluminum components. But...perhaps I am remembering another member...and with that possibility in mind I am happy to assist you with any questions you have.

I want to make sure that understand axactly what it is that we offer. You reference an "aluminum casing" option. Our Aluminum pressure-plate options replaces the OE steel friction plate with an aluminum one that uses a bolt on steel friction surface. The actual clutch cover (the part that is painted blue) is still made of steel. The use of our aluminum-plate reduces the overall weight by ~5-lbs. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!

Here is the link to the post I mentioned above. There are more specifics on this thread relative to weight. Thanks

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-race-car.html

Last edited by SPEC-01; 01-11-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added more info!!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Jeremy,
Yes, you are correct we did converse about the SPEC clutches and the availability of the Aluminum pressure plate option that can be used along with several product weights. Some of the above posts, which you may be referring to, happened quite a while ago before we had spoken. At this point, it seems like the Al. optioned SPEC its the most inexpensive "semi-lightweight" clutch/pp option that I have found. Unfortunately once you purchase the clutch and add in the $250 upgrade for the Al. PP your beginning to look at quite a bit of money, and for not much more you begin to get into some of the more what I would call "exotic" clutch kits. It also doesn't help that without the Al. option the SPEC and LS7 seem to weight virtually the same (several lbs. heavier than stock if I recall correctly).

Does anyone have the numbers on the stock LS1 clutch/pp and flywheels weights? I read them some time ago and haven't been able to find them again.

Michael
Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

The weights of these kits without the aluminum plate option will be similar to the the weight of the original parts...because they have similar dimensions. That being said you have two primary options. The first is the Aluminum Plate version of our normal single-disc and the second would be to use one of our Mini-Twin assemblies which utilizes two 7.25" disc, and a Billet Aluminum Cover and flywheel for further weight savings with a total weight of about 23-lbs. Do lighter parts cost more? Yes, they typically do as a result of the processes and materials used to attain these reduced weights. I am sure you know this but I wanted to make sure that others reading the post would understand that the increase in cost wasn't related to "imagined" rather than "real" differences in the parts. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Light Weight Clutch/PP for Fidanza Flywheel