Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bushing behind the rear seal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bushing behind the rear seal?

there looks like a bushing behind the rear seal , looks like the driveshaft goes in it. i was changing the rear seal today and noticed that it was kinda ate up... how do it get this bushing out? to i have to take the rear housing off and press it out?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the bushing out you'll need to remove the tailhousing. You can knock it out with a screwdriver and a hammer. You'll need the apropriate tool to install the new one however....or a cam bearing installer works also. Tremec doesn't sell the bushing itself, its only available with the tailhousing. We sell a replacement bushing however: http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/ Its the last item in the "individual parts" list. Any tranny shop would probably knock the bushing in for you for a few bucks if you take them the tailhousing.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Snap On makes a tool to remove it without having to pull the tailhousing but unless you have the tool, you will need to remove the tailhousing to swap it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I installed one without removing the tail shaft. The stocker had a perf crease in it. I bent the stocker and slid it out. Froze the new timkin from napa and tapped it into place. The bushing install was done years ago and still is fine. I am not saying do it this way that is just how I did mine.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
I installed one without removing the tail shaft. The stocker had a perf crease in it. I bent the stocker and slid it out. Froze the new timkin from napa and tapped it into place. The bushing install was done years ago and still is fine. I am not saying do it this way that is just how I did mine.
thats actually a very clever way!!!!!!!