Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch install@home. What tools I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, except for the pilot bearing, what else I need to replace when I pull out the tranny?

Here's what I've:
LS7 clutch/pressure plate with LS2 flywheel
02 stock maser cylinder with drill mod and adjustable mod
02 stock slave cylinder
Old 01-24-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a Tick remote bleeder, to replace the useless bleeder on the slave. Also ARP flywheel and pressure plate bolts are a good choice.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a Tick remote bleeder, to replace the useless bleeder on the slave. Also ARP flywheel and pressure plate bolts are a good choice.
Can I re-use the old bolts?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you can reuse the old ones. I bought all new flywheel and pressure plate bolts for $20, the flywheel come with loctite on them. dont forget to use loctite on the pressure plate bolts
Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

I agree with what everyone has said. Hope you have some guns, the T56 is heavy.

Make sure you torque the pressure plate down a little bit at a time. Give each bolt a turn, remove the alignment tool, twist it, torque some more, remove tool, twist, insert it again. You have to have the pressure plate perfectly lined up or the input shaft will not go in.

Once you start to tighten it, it can move around. This took me a few tries to get right. I couldn't figure out why the tranny wouldn't go back in, fought and cussed with it for hours.

Alignment tools suck, they're hollow and plastic. If you feel ANY resistance on the tool when inserting it, removing, and putting it back in, go back and get it right.

Also, that pilot bearing is really tough. I tried cutting and prying it out. I tried several pullers, broke some, and finally found this puller that had strong teeth that would fit behind it. You will need a slide hammer for sure.

Hyrdaulic line going into the slave is a bitch along with some of those bellhousinf bolts!

It's fun and a good feeling when you get it done. Big job!

Here's some pics from when I did mine.

I can't say enough about a remote bleeder as well. Literally made bleeding a two minute job and completely got all the old fluid out.

Also, replace all the fluid in through the top when you put a new shifter in too. Mine's a 5.0.

New monster clutch, flywheel, slave, pilot bearing, shifter, fluids, and knowing that everything is bled perfectly. Awesome!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joblo1978
I agree with what everyone has said. Hope you have some guns, the T56 is heavy.

Make sure you torque the pressure plate down a little bit at a time. Give each bolt a turn, remove the alignment tool, twist it, torque some more, remove tool, twist, insert it again. You have to have the pressure plate perfectly lined up or the input shaft will not go in.

Once you start to tighten it, it can move around. This took me a few tries to get right. I couldn't figure out why the tranny wouldn't go back in, fought and cussed with it for hours.

Alignment tools suck, they're hollow and plastic. If you feel ANY resistance on the tool when inserting it, removing, and putting it back in, go back and get it right.

Also, that pilot bearing is really tough. I tried cutting and prying it out. I tried several pullers, broke some, and finally found this puller that had strong teeth that would fit behind it. You will need a slide hammer for sure.

Hyrdaulic line going into the slave is a bitch along with some of those bellhousinf bolts!

It's fun and a good feeling when you get it done. Big job!

Here's some pics from when I did mine.

I can't say enough about a remote bleeder as well. Literally made bleeding a two minute job and completely got all the old fluid out.

Also, replace all the fluid in through the top when you put a new shifter in too. Mine's a 5.0.

New monster clutch, flywheel, slave, pilot bearing, shifter, fluids, and knowing that everything is bled perfectly. Awesome!

This is very helpful info to keep in mind. I'm planning on starting mine soon. The car is up on jack stands. I just need to go at it. Also I have that work light in the left side of this picture. LOVE IT!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

24" or longer wobble extension, plenty of time, trans jack.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the bolts are easy to get with some extensions the clutch and pp is easy only tough part is getting the tranny allined while on ur back idc what anyone says you really need two guys its very hard for one person to wobble it in
Old 02-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Teching In

U install the clutch already
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Speed Bleeder is a definate..

A good Clutch Alignment Tool is an old Input Shaft if you can find one.

Originally Posted by mayerichm
I also found it easier to position the tranny by hand. once you drain the fluid its really not THAT heavy. Plus once your at that point i was so pissed that i could throw that damn thing.
I hear ya..it helps to get a little mad..lol..

I've been under it myself and got ahold of it good, stuck it in, held it, and a friend put the Bolts in. I got tired of messin with cause it wouldn't line up with the both of us holding it..I got ahold of it, gave it a good shove, and it was in..lol
Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I still have no time to install the damn clutch and fix the rear main seal. Can you believe that 3 out of my 5 cars broken down all at the same time LOL.

I might have someone else do the clutch for me. I just have to gather all the parts I need. I checked on Kragen for the pilot bearing but not sure which one is which. Is it the M/T Main Shaft Pilot Bearing? Except for Kragen, where can/should I get the pilot bearing from?

Quick Reply: Clutch install@home. What tools I need?