Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster # clutch life

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hivoltagedriver
There is going to be an adjustment period for any driver coming from a stock clutch to a puck-style. The level 3 will require quicker engagement and less slippage on the street, and will tend to glaze some if you do a lot of stop and go driving. It is built to hold anything you throw at it at the track, and it's not a stock clutch so don't expect it to act just like one. On the other hand, it is one of the best and most popular aftermarket clutch kits for a reason.
Well put, thank you for that comment. I have two cars with aftermarket clutches now and would not want to drive either of them every day. I think for this car I might go with an ls7 for driving all the time. The car doesn't see the track much at all and it is pretty much stock till I hit the 125 shot.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on the adjustment period. Don't expect any aftermarket puck-style clutch designed for high performance and track use to have the same feel as a stocker. Stock clutches are designed to give you just enough clamping power to hold stock torque while getting you long life under normal driving conditions. Most of the aftermarket clutches out there are designed to hold high power/torque and high RPM launches while maintaing reasonable driveability and street manners. Some do a better job of others at giving lighter pedal feel and more forgiving engagement.

Good luck with your purchase and install. My brother has a Monster 3 in his H/C/100 shot 02 Z28 and he really likes it (street and track use). I've driven it a few times and have found the street manners to be on par with other comparable "Stage 3" clutches, which is to say significantly heavier than a stocker but nothing you don't get used to after putting some miles on it. Just get used to not riding the clutch at all. You slip a little bit to get moving, but if you ride it you're going to kill even the best aftermarket performance clutches very quickly.

Quick Reply: Monster # clutch life